Shellfish Sanitation and Management
The Bureau of Public Health oversees the application of the National Shellfish Sanitation Program (NSSP) within the State of Maine. This program is implemented internationally by the Interstate Shellfish Sanitation Conference (ISSC) in order to keep molluscan shellfish safe for human consumption. This is accomplished by making sure that a common set of standards are used to classify shellfish growing areas and handle shellfish when they go to market.
- Marine Biotoxin Monitoring - monitors levels of PSP (“Red Tide”) and other marine biotoxins in Maine shellfish
- Shellfish Dealer Certification and Inspection - evaluates and certifies Maine wholesale shellfish dealers
- Shellfish Growing Area Classification - monitors the water quality at Maine shellfish flats and conducts shoreline surveys to identify sources of pollution
- Nearshore Marine Resources Program - assists towns in managing their flats and shellfish. Marine Resource Scientists help towns with their conservation areas, reseeding, surveying, town license allocations, shellfish ordinances, warden programs, and more.
- Volunteer Programs - water quality and phytoplankton monitoring
- Environmental Permit Review - conducts/coordinates environmental impact reviews for permits and projects in the coastal zone, involving regulated activities such as wetland alteration, pollution discharge and dredging/dredge material disposal. The program is also responsible for reviewing projects seeking leases on publicly owned submerged and/or inter-tidal lands, which could have an effect on Maine's fisheries infrastructure, as well as reviewing and commenting on municipal comprehensive plans which may affect marine, estuarine and riverine resources.
Advisories, Presentations and Additional Information
Advisories & Reminders
- Current beach swimming advisories
- Current fish consumption advisories
- Safe shellfish consumption reminder
Presentations & Information
- Maine Shellfish Handbook, pdf file, 5.26 MB
- Shellfish Identification
- Information on Green Crabs in Maine
- Municipal Shellfish Management Manual - pdf file, 366 KB Updated 3/2018
- Shellfish Program Newsletters
- Shellfish handling, tagging, and labeling slide show- pdf file, 2.2 Mb
- Vibrio Certification
- For certification of clam rings, contact the Dept of Agriculture, Conservation, and Forestry's Weights and Measures