Marine Animal Reporting Hotline 1-800-532-9551
To report a live, dead, stranded, or entangled whale, dolphin, porpoise, seal, or sea turtle.
There are several species in the Gulf of Maine that are federally protected. They include marine mammals such as whales, dolphins, porpoises and seals, protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972, and sea turtles, protected by the Endangered Species Act.
- Whales - Identifying the large whale species of New England
- Porpoises and Dolphins c/o NOAA
- Sea Turtles c/o NOAA
- Marine Mammal Fact Sheet c/o Maine DEP (PDF file, 2 pages)
- State of Maine Guidance: Notification, Handling, and Disposal Procedures for Marine Animal Carcasses (PDF file, 4 pages)
- College of the Atlantic - Allied Whale (authorized responder, Rockland to Canadian border)
- Marine Mammals of Maine (authorized responder, New Hampshire border to Rockland)
- NOAA Protected Marine Life Program
- NOAA Marine Viewing Guidelines
- NOAA Northeast Fisheries Science Center Protected Species Branch
- New England Aquarium Marine Sea Turtle Rescue Program
- New England Aquarium Mammal Conservation
- Provincetown Center for Coastal Studies