The Maine Shellfish Dealer Certification and Inspection Program uses the standards outlined by the National Shellfish Sanitation Program (NSSP) to evaluate and certify all wholesale shellfish dealers in Maine. These dealers must be certified under the NSSP to ship, or process shellfish for shipment, within and outside of the state of Maine. By making sure that wholesale shellfish dealers meet these standards, the safety and wholesomeness of the shellfish being purchased by consumers is ensured.
The Model Ordinance that governs this program is the NSSP Guide for the Control of Molluscan Shellfish.
Online Licensing and Permitting - LEEDS
Licenses and Sanitation Certificates must be applied for using the State of Maine LEEDS (licensing system). Get more information on the Maine Marine Dealer and Harvester Licenses webpage.
Shellfish Dealer Lists
- Interstate Shellfish Shippers on the ICSSL: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) maintains a dynamic Interstate Certified Shellfish Shippers List (ICSSL). Please select this link to find Maine dealers on the ICSSL. The FDA list indicates the name of the business, the town where the dealer does business, and the current certification number.
- Vibrio Certification Guide
- Vibrio-specific HACCP Plan for Dealers Receiving Shellstock from Vibrio Control Areas (PDF file, 3 Pages)
- Vibrio-specific Receiving Log (pdf)
- DMR Chapter 115 Vibrio Regulations
Forms and Documents
- Bulk Tagging Procedures and Protocols
- Bulk Tagging, first-time application (pdf, 1 page, 54 KB)
- Buying Station, first-time application (pdf, 3 pages, 60 KB)
- Directions for Sanitizing Your Well (pdf, 3 pages)
- Temperature Regulation Shipping and Compliance Record (PDF, 1 page, 131 KB)
- Wet Storage, first-time application (pdf, 3 pages, 60 KB)