For more information, contact Bureau of Public Health
The Maine Shellfish Dealer Certification and Inspection Program uses the standards outlined by the National Shellfish Sanitation Program (NSSP) to evaluate and certify all wholesale shellfish dealers in Maine. These dealers must be certified under the NSSP to ship, or process shellfish for shipment, within and outside of the state of Maine. By making sure that wholesale shellfish dealers meet these standards, the safety and wholesomeness of the shellfish being purchased by consumers is ensured.
Please select this link to find the 2019 NSSP Guide for the Control of Molluscan Shellfish (PDF file, 502 pages, 4.4 MB) (commonly called the "Model Ordinance").
Shellfish Dealer Lists
- Interstate Shellfish Shippers on the ICSSL: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) maintains a dynamic Interstate Certified Shellfish Shippers List (ICSSL). Please select this link to find Maine dealers on the ICSSL. The FDA list indicates the name of the business, the town where the dealer does business, and the current certification number.
- Enhanced Retailers (PDF, 2 pages): This is a list of Retail Markets and Restaurants that hold an Enhanced Retail License which entitles them to purchase shellfish directly from harvesters for retail sales only.
Forms and Documents
- Application Forms for Maine Shellfish Dealers
- Bulk Tagging Procedures and Protocols
- Maine Shellfish Dealers Sanitation and HACCP Guidelines Manual and Forms
- Guidance Document for New Time to Temperature Regulations (PDF file, 3 pages)
- Directions for Sanitizing Your Well (PDF file, 3 pages)
- HACCP Plan for Dealers Receiving Product from the Cousins River Conditional Area (Area No. 14, Part D) (PDF file, 5 pages)
- HACCP Plan for Dealers Receiving Product from Vibrio Control Areas (3 Pages)
- For certification of clam rings, contact the Dept of Agriculture, Conservation, and Forestry's Weights and Measures
- 2022 Certified Vibrio Harvester List
- 2022 Certified Vibrio Dealer List