Illustration by Roz Davis Designs, courtesy of the DMR Recreational Fisheries program and the Maine Outdoor Heritage Fund.
PDF files may require the free Adobe Reader (download here) to view or print.
General Information about Halibut
- 2009 Summary of Maine, New England, and Canadian fisheries, history, research, and assessments - MS Powerpoint file, 44 slides, 4.7 MB or
2009 Summary of Maine, New England, and Canadian fisheries, history, research, and assessments - PDF file, 44 slides, 2.1 MB
- Description and basic information from "Do You Know Your Catch?"
- Halibut Information c/o NOAA
Maine Halibut Research
- Hansell, A. C.; DeCelles, G. R.; Kersula, M. E. & Cadrin, S. X. Incorporating Harvesters' Knowledge into an Index of Abundance for Atlantic Halibut in the Northwest Atlantic Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, Wiley, 2020, 149, 741-752
- Liu, C.; Bank, C.; Kersula, M.; Cowles, G. W.; Zemeckis, D. R.; Cadrin, S. X. & McGuire, C. Movements of Atlantic halibut in the Gulf of Maine based on geolocation. ICES Journal of Marine Science, Oxford University Press, 2019, 76, 2020-2032
- Kersula, M. & Seitz, A. Diverse migratory behaviors of Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus, L.) based on the 2000?2017 Maine halibut tagging program. Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fishery Science, 2019, 50, 13-24
- Seitz, A. C.; Evans, M. D.; Courtney, M. B. & Kanwit, J. K. Continental shelf residency by adult Atlantic halibut electronic tagged in the Gulf of Maine Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fishery Science, Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organization (NAFO), 2016, 48, 33-40
- Kanwit, K. & DeGraaf, T. Biological sampling, behavior and migration study of Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus) and cusk (Brosme brosme) in the Gulf of Maine. Report to the Northeast Cooperative Research Partners Program, PDF file, 25 pages, 2.2 MB
- Kanwit, J. K. Tagging results from the 2000?2004 federal experimental fishery for Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus) in the eastern Gulf of Maine. Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fishery Science (PDF file, 6 pages)