Ocean discovery starts here.
The Maine State Aquarium is currently closed until summer 2024. We are not scheduling field trips for the 2023-2024 season. Follow us on the website and social media for updates about renovations and periodic programming.
DMR’s Boothbay Harbor campus is located at 194 McKown Pt Rd and includes the Maine State Aquarium, Learning Lab, and Burnt Island Lighthouse and Education Center. Burnt Island is only accessible by boat.
The Education Division provides experiences that inspire curiosity and connections with Maine’s coastal waters and resources. Our vision is to make the Gulf of Maine ecosystem and Department of Marine Resources research come alive for in-person and online audiences. Our Education Division provides direct access to our researchers and resources — including the Maine State Aquarium, Learning Lab, and Burnt Island with the Lighthouse and Education Center.
These resources are available as free, downloadable PDF files, and may require Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader software (download here free) to view or print. Some of the files are quite large.
- Teacher's Guide to Marine Life in the Gulf of Maine - It features 24 animals with 4 pages of information and activities for each species including: classification, description, life processes, related species, and detailed anatomical diagrams. Download the Teacher's Guide here free - pdf file, 110 pages, 2 MB.
- Gulf Of Maine Coloring Book - Illustrations of regional marine life are ready for students to color. Each page includes species identification and suggested colors. Download the Coloring Book here free - pdf file, 23 pages, 486 kb.
- A Lobster's Life Coloring Book - Appropriate for young learners, it provides simple illustrations and text on a lobster's life history. Download the Lobster Coloring Book here free - pdf file, 13 pages, 5 MB.
- A Guide to Lobstering in Maine - This booklet provides information on the history of lobstering, lobster biology, and lobstering regulations. Download the Lobster Guide here free - pdf file, 24 pages, 1 MB. More information on Maine's lobster is available on DMR's lobster web site.
- Maine Saltwater Angler Guide - This booklet is a beautifully illustrated identification guide of sport-fish species. Download the Angler Guide here free - pdf file, 40 pages, 6 MB. The guide is also available to view as web pages on DMR's recreational fishing site.
- Green Gold: Maine's Sea Urchin Fishery - This booklet provides information on the sea urchin, fishing industry, and management practices. Download Green Gold here free - pdf file, 36 pages, 2 MB.
- Information and Landings on commercially harvested species are available on the DMR home page under Commercial Fisheries
- Bigelow Lab "Hatch to Catch"
- Lobster Conservancy
- Maine Department of Marine Resources, lobster page
- DMR Guide to Lobstering in Maine (PDF, 1 MB)
Here is a list of helpful marine education sites for teachers to utilize in the classroom:
- Bigelow Lab for Ocean Sciences
- Boothbay Sea and Science Center
- Darling Marine Center, University of Maine
- Gulf of Maine Marine Life Supply
- Gulf of Maine Research Institute Education Resources
- Herring Gut Learning Center
- Island Institute
- Maine Public - PBS Learning Network
- National Center for Coastal Ocean Science
- National Marine Educators Association
- New England Aquarium Teacher Resource Center
- Sea Turtle printables (free)
- Shark Research Institute
- WhaleNET Resources
- Wyland Foundation
We are recruiting volunteers for our summer 2023 season; positions include working with the public and behind the scenes. To apply, complete an application and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact the DMR webmaster if any of the above links fail.