Coastweek is a national celebration of our coastal resources. In Maine, the annual Coastal Cleanup is the biggest volunteer event in the state! Since 2020, the one-day event in September has become a whole month of Cleanups around the world. Coastweek 2022 was another successful effort to keep Maine's waterfront clean, and registration for Coastweek 2023 is now open!
Registration for the 2023 Cleanup is Now Closed. Thanks for your Participation!
Maine Coastweek 2022 Results
- Pounds cleaned - 2,580
- Miles of waterfront cleaned - 56
- Total volunteers - 533
Thanks to all the volunteers!
2023 Coastweek sponsor 98.9 WCLZ
The International Coastal Cleanup was established over 35 years ago to address the problem of trash in our oceans and on our coasts. The Ocean Conservancy manages the ICC and maintains a database of all the items that volunteers around the world record when collecting trash. As of 2020, the one-day event in September has become a whole month of Cleanups around the world! See the 2022 report here (PDF, 32 pages).
MCP has been the State Coordinator for the International Coastal Cleanup for over 30 years and remains committed to supporting and facilitating annual Cleanups of our coastal beaches and waterways. Volunteers join MCP by adopting a location and soliciting others to join them in cleaning up the trash from their location of choice and help to keep our coast and ocean trash free!
For news and information on the impacts of marine debris please visit the following:
- Bloomberg.com - The no-packaging movement - By Elizabeth Elkin
- Ocean Conservancy - Pandemic Pollution: The Rising Tide of Plastic PPE
To get information on the high and low tides for your Cleanup location please visit:
To promote your cleanup, download a copy of the 2023 poster by selecting the image below.
Are you looking to volunteer? Here are cleanups in need of volunteer support:
- Yarmouth, Cousins Island Beach, September 10th, 1:00 p.m. Contact Rebecca: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Harpswell, Bailey Island, September 9th, 10:00 a.m. Contact Sara: email@example.com
- Lubec, September 18th - 24th, 9:00 a.m. Contact Deborah: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Harpswell, September 23rd, 9:00 a.m. Contact Paul: email@example.com
- Portland, Back Cove, September 16th, 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.. Contact Matt: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Portland, Payson Park, September 16th, 10:00 a.m. Contact Matt: email@example.com
- Wells, Parsons Beach, September 9th, 12:30 p.m. Contact Darlene: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Falmouth Foreside, Mackworth Island, September 9th, 11:00 a.m. Contact Nathan: email@example.com
- Portland, East End Beach, August 6th, 9:00 a.m. Contact Taejoo: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Owls Head, Birch Point Beach, September 4th, 8:30 a.m. Contact Jessica: email@example.com
- Camden, Laite Beach, September 9th, 9:00 a.m. Contact Andrea: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cape Elizabeth, Crescent Beach State Park, September 17th, 9:00 a.m. Contact Kate: email@example.com
- Old Orchard Beach, September 17th, 9:00 a.m. Contact Suzanne: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pembroke, Pembroke Shoreline, September 30th, 5:30 a.m. Contact Frederick: email@example.com