Coastweek is a national celebration of our coastal resources. In Maine, the annual Coastal Cleanup is the biggest volunteer event in the state! Since 2020, the one-day event in September has become a whole month of Cleanups around the world. Coastweek 2021 was another successful effort to keep Maine's waterfront clean, and registration for Coastweek 2022 is now open!
Registration for the 2022 Cleanup is Now CLOSED
Maine Coastweek 2021 Results
- Pounds cleaned - 666
- Miles of waterfront cleaned - 302
- Total volunteers - 114
Thanks to all the volunteers!
2022 Coastweek sponsor 98.9 WCLZ
The International Coastal Cleanup was established over 35 years ago to address the problem of trash in our oceans and on our coasts. The Ocean Conservancy manages the ICC and maintains a database of all the items that volunteers around the world record when collecting trash. As of 2020, the one-day event in September has become a whole month of Cleanups around the world! See the 2021 report here (PDF, 32 pages).
MCP has been the State Coordinator for the International Coastal Cleanup for over 30 years and remains committed to supporting and facilitating annual Cleanups of our coastal beaches and waterways. Volunteers join MCP by adopting a location and soliciting others to join them in cleaning up the trash from their location of choice and help to keep our coast and ocean trash free!
For news and information on the impacts of marine debris please visit the following:
- Bloomberg.com - The no-packaging movement - By Elizabeth Elkin
- Ocean Conservancy - Pandemic Pollution: The Rising Tide of Plastic PPE
To get information on the high and low tides for your Cleanup location please visit:
To promote your cleanup, download a copy of the 2022 poster by selecting the image below.
Are you looking to volunteer? Here are cleanups in need of volunteer support:
- Cape Elizabeth, Two Lights State Park, September 18th, 9:00am-12:00pm, Contact Kate: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phippsburg, Popham Beach State Park, September 24th, 10:00am-2:00pm, Contact Lindsey: email@example.com
- Rockland, Glen Cove, September 30th, 2:00-4:00pm, Contact Brenna: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wells, Wells Beach, September 24th, 11:00-2:30pm, Contact Ellen Darlene: email@example.com
- Lamoine, Lamoine State Park, September 17th, 9:30-11:00am, Contact Larissa: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Freeport, Wolfe’s Neck Woods State Park, September 11th, TBD, Contact David: email@example.com
- Scarborough, Pine Point Beach, September 3rd, 9:00-11:00am, Contact Kelsey: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Biddeford, Fortunes Rock Beach, September 10th, 1:00-2:00pm, Contact Kristin: email@example.com
- Lubec, Lubec Coastline, September 3rd thru 11th, Contact Deborah: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Portland, Martins Point, September 17th, 9:00am-12:00pm, Contact Cheri: email@example.com
- Boothbay, Knickercane, September 3rd, 8:00am-12:00pm, Contact Michael: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saco, Ocean Park at Old Orchard Beach, September 6th, 10:00am-12:00pm, Contact Lisa: email@example.com
- Arrowsic, Bald Head Preserve, September 24th, 10:30am-1:00pm, Contact Bernadette: Bernadetteb28@gmail.com