Board of Pharmacy - Frequently Asked Questions - Collaborative Drug Therapy Management

I am a licensed pharmacist. Can I perform Collaborative Drug Therapy Management? No, not unless you hold a valid Maine pharmacist license and have been licensed by the Board to perform Collaborative Drug Therapy Management. Please read 32 MRSA §13842 for information on the qualifications to obtain this authorization. 

How do I apply for a License to perform Collaborative Drug Therapy Management? Please visit our website and download the application packet. Web address -  click on "List of Licensed Professions" then scroll down to "pharmacy." This will bring you to the Board of Pharmacy web page.   Or, this link for direct access to the Board of Pharmacy web page. Click on "Applications & Forms." Please be sure to review the laws and rules. The link for these documents is just above Applications & Forms.

Can I fax my application to the board's office? Please do not fax your application as documents submitted by this method are often indecipherable. Please mail your application and supporting material or feel free to come to our office to deliver your application.

If I personally deliver my application and required fee to the board's office, can you review and act on my application while I wait? No. We are unable to accommodate this request. Your application will be reviewed and acted on in the order received.

How can I find out the status of my application? Visit our website. Acknowledgement of receipt of your application will immediately be visible online with a status code of “pending,” which means that your application has been received and is pending eligibility review.  Once reviewed the status code on the website will either show that your license was issued and the status will change to "Active" or, if your application is deemed incomplete, an incomplete letter will be sent to you by regular mail or email, if one was provided.  Upon issuance of your license, you will be sent via email to the email address notifying you that your license has been issued together with your license attached to the email (a paper license will not be sent to you) and your access code.  The sender email address will read   (a paper license will not be sent by regular mail).  Please be sure to retain your access code, this code is required to renew your license online when the time comes and to update your contact information online at

We do not encourage phone calls to find out the status of your application. These calls severely impede our ability to expedite applications.  An incomplete application will slow the progress of your application and may be returned, so please take the time to read the information provided in the application packet.

Can I perform Collaborative Drug Therapy Management before I receive a license? No, you must have an active license to begin practice.  Once you see your application status change “Active” you may begin practice collaborative drug therapy management.

May a pharmacy technician or pharmacist intern perform Collaborative Drug Therapy Management? No. Only a Maine licensed pharmacist who has been licensed by the Board may practice Collaborative Drug Therapy Management.

Can a pharmacist delegate the authority to perform Collaborative Drug Therapy Management to pharmacy technician or a pharmacist intern? No.

Can a pharmacist who has had prior disciplinary actions obtain a license to perform Collaborative Drug Therapy Management?  Pursuant to Board Rule Chapter 39, Section 1(7) an “Unrestricted pharmacist license” means a pharmacist license, the holder of which is not subject to any conditions of licensure affecting the scope of practice.  This rule addresses active discipline that affects your ability to practice.  Although the Board must consider all disciplinary actions for purposes of determining the overall eligibility for licensure, a prior disciplinary action where the sanctions have been met and the consent agreement or board decision and order is no longer active would not necessarily prevent you from licensure. 

May I (pharmacist) use the 15 hours of continuing education submitted to initially qualify for my initial license to practice Collaborative Drug Therapy Management for my first licensure renewal after issuance of my collaborative drug therapy license?There is nothing in law or rule that would prevent you from using some or all of the 15 continuing education hours you filed for purposes of obtain the initial collaborative drug therapy management license to satisfy the required 5 hours in areas of practice covered by the collaborative practice agreement for your first licensure renewal.  However, please note that pursuant to 32 MRS §13735, for purposes of licensure renewal, you must also complete at least 2 of the 15 CE hours in board-approved courses on drug administration.