Board of Physical Therapy - Frequently Asked Questions

Physical Therapist/Physical Therapist Assistant- Frequently Asked Questions

If I am applying for examination, will I receive a temporary license?
No, the Board’s Law provides for a graduate physical therapist and graduate physical therapist assistant exemption.  This exemption allows an applicant for the examination to work within the State of Maine under the supervision of the physical therapist from the time the applicant is notified that they qualify to sit for the examination until they are notified of the examination scores.  The supervision is the same as that of the physical therapist assistant in the Board’s rules. 

If I apply for a Maine license by endorsement do I need to obtain verification from every state that I have ever held a license in?
Yes, the Maine Board of Examiners in Physical Therapy requires that a verification of every license be submitted with the application, even if that license is not currently active.

If I had a license in the State of Maine, do I need to obtain a verification of that license?
No, we would have all your information on file.

Will the FSBPT send the scores to me?
The FSBPT will forward your scores to this office electronically and will be accepted separately from the rest of the application.

How do I change my name on my license?
You would need to submit the request for the change (indicating your license number, your previous name and how you would now like it printed on your license) in writing via fax (207-624-8637), e-mail or via mail to the Board of Examiners in Physical Therapy, 35 State House Station, Augusta, ME  04333. 

The Board requires documentation of the name change, such as a copy of the marriage certificate, divorce decree etc.  If you would like a new license printed with the new name on it you may submit the name request with $10.00 payment.  The payment may be made with the request via e-mail or fax (207-624-8637) with credit card information (credit card number, expiration date and authorization to charge the card $10.00 for a duplicate license) or via regular mail with check or money order (payable to “Treasurer, State of Maine”) to the Board of Examiners in Physical Therapy, 35 State House Station, Augusta, ME  04333.

Do I have to complete continuing education for license renewal requirements?
Maine Law does not require continuing education for this profession.