The Department has contracted with the Society of American Foresters (“SAF”) to administer the licensing examination for a forester license in Maine. The two part examination consists of:
- Part One - 30 multiple-choice Maine Forestry Specific Examination
- Part Two - 150 multiple-choice Certified Forester Examination
A minimum score of 70% is required to pass the exam.
Current Maine Licensed Intern Foresters
a) with an SAF accredited program in Forestry or Forest Technology need only take the Maine forestry specific part of the exam. The exam may be completed during the internship.
b) qualifying by education variance are eligible to take the exam (both parts required) upon completion of the internship and after submission of Forester license application and approval.
Forester Applicants Licensed or Practicing in Another Jurisdiction
Upon submission of application, documentation of professional qualifications and board approval:
a) individuals with an SAF accredited program in Forestry or Forest Technology need only take the Maine forestry specific part of the exam.
b) individuals without an SAF accredited program in Forestry or Forest Technology are required to take both parts of the exam.
The Maine forestry specific questions will test the applicant’s competence in the following areas:
- Maine Forest Service Rules and Regulations
- 7 MRSA Agriculture and Animals: Chapter 409 Quarantines
- 10 MRSA Commerce and Trade: Chapter 501 Weights and Measures Law
- 12 MRSA Conservation: Part 11 Forestry
- 14 MRSA §159-A Court Procedure - Civill
- 17 MRSA Crimes: Chapter 83 Malicious Mischiefs
- 32 MRSA Professions and Occupations: Chapter 76 Forester Licensing
- 36 MRSA Taxation: Subchapter 2-A: Tree Growth Tax Law
- 38 MRSA Waters and Navigation: Chapter 3 Protection and Improvement of Waters
- 39-A MRSA Workers Compensation: Chapter 9: Insurance and Self Insurance
- Department of Environmental Protection Chapter 1000: Guidelines for Municipal Shoreland Zoning Ordinances
- Maine Land Use Planning Commission Rules Chapter 10
- 2008 Forest Trees of Maine
Once an applicant has been approved by the Board to sit for the examination, the Board staff will notify SAF that the applicant is eligible to sit for the examination. The examination fee will be paid directly to SAF.