Board of Pharmacy - Frequently Asked Questions - Pharmacists

Does the Maine Board of Pharmacy qualify pharmacist for examination(s)?

No, effective May 1, 2017, NABP will confirm eligibility to sit for the North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination® (NAPLEX®) and the Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination® (MPJE®). The examination eligibility process applies to both first-time licensure applicants and licensure transfer applicants. To contact NABP please go to

I completed a 20-hour course on immunization administration and used this course to obtain my initial license to from the Board to immunize; can I use this same course to fulfill my continuing education requirement for pharmacist licensure renewal?

Yes. At the November 15, 2010, board meeting the Board reconsidered and overturned its initial October 27, 2010, decision. A pharmacist who completed a 20-hour course on immunization administration to obtain initial licensure may use this same course to fulfill the continuing education requirements for pharmacist licensure renewal.

As a licensed pharmacist who does not hold a license to administer immunizations, am I required to complete the 2-hours of continuing education in immunization administration as stated in 32 MRSA § 13735?

(ref)§13735. Continuing pharmacy education

"An annual renewal license may not be issued by the board until the applicant certifies to the board that, during the calendar year preceding an application for renewal, the applicant has participated in not less than 15 hours of approved courses of continuing professional pharmaceutical education as set out in this section. Of the 15 hours to be completed, at least 2 hours must be in board-approved courses on drug administration as described in section 13702-A, subsection 28 ."

 Yes. The law requires all licensed pharmacist to obtain at least 2 of the required 15 continuing education hours for licensure renewal to be in drug administration.

How many days does the owner of a drug outlet have to notify the Board of Pharmacy, that there has been a change in the Pharmacist in Charge (PIC)?

The pharmacy owner must notify the Board of any change in PIC within 7 days after the change. See, Board Rules Chapter 8 Section 6.

I am a Pharmacist-in-Charge leaving employment at a drug outlet-what should I do?

Pharmacy law requires that you file a notice with the board no later than 7 days after the change. 32 MRSA § 13753(1)(C).

I am a new incoming Pharmacist-in-Charge at a drug outlet. Should I notify the Board?

In addition to making sure that you file a PIC change application, you must conduct an audit of scheduled drugs and report any unresolved inventory discrepancies. See, Board Chapter 23, Section 3(2).

Can I work as a pharmacy technician before I am registered?

No, the following duties require a license when working in a supportive role under the supervision of a Maine licensed pharmacist, which include: 

  • Acceptances of an original or renewal prescription drug order.
  • Receipt of a transferred prescription for a noncontrolled drug pursuant to Chapter 19, Section 8(2) of the board's rules.
  • Prescription data entry.
  • Prescription drug selection from inventory.
  • Counting, packaging and labeling of prescription drugs for delivery.

You must be licensed before you can work as a pharmacy technician. First, you must file an application with the required fees. New applicants with complete applications will be identified on the OPOR website in a "pending" status. Pending status does not entitle you to practice. When you application has been approved and license is issued to you, you may start practice as a pharmacy technician. When your license is issued, you will receive an email from that will contain your license. 

Can I work as a pharmacy technician before I am registered?

Yes, you may perform the following duties without a license when working in a supportive role under the supervision of a Maine licensed pharmacist: 

  • Pharmaceutical ordering.
  • Shelf stocking in the prescription department.
  • Delivery of filled prescriptions to customers in the prescription department, including customer assistance and customer check-out.
  • Obtaining patient profile, medical, insurance or demographic information from customers.
  • Performing outbound refill calls to providers or customers.
  • Billing insurers, investigating insurance benefits, or coordinating copayment/coinsurance and order delivery.
  • Packing, shipment or delivery of prescription drugs on behalf of the pharmacy.

I am a pharmacy technician in the process of changing work sites. What should I do?

You are required to report your change of work site or termination of employment within 10 days of the change. You can notify the board by logging into the online portal please go to, letter, fax or email. See, Board Rule Chapter 7 Section 1(5).

I am a pharmacy technician but I am no longer employed as a pharmacy technician. Can I renew my license?

No. You must be employed in order to renew your pharmacy technician registration. See, 32 MRSA § 13702 Section 19-A.

Does the Maine Board of Pharmacy register or license interns?

Yes. Please refer to Board Rules Chapter 6-A. Your accumulated internship hours must be reported to the board no later than January 31st of each year. It is important that you keep detailed records of your internship hours.

Does the Maine Board of Pharmacy require the FPGEC for register or license foreign educated interns?

Yes. Please refer to Board Rules Chapter 6-A subchapter 2 Section 4(2).  Your accumulated internship hours must be reported to the board no later than January 31st of each year. It is important that you keep detailed records of your internship hours.

Will the Board accept intern hours obtained for prior years that were not reported by the January 31st deadline?

No, these hours will not be accepted.

I am a foreign-trained pharmacist. Can I take the NAPLEX (exam) and obtain a Maine license?

Yes but you must first contact the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy ("NABP") and pass the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination ("FPGEE") and obtain the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Education Committee Certification ("FPGEC"). After obtaining your FPGEC and have passed the examinations you may submit a licensure application which can be accessed on-line at

I am a pharmacy student. Can I take the NAPLEX prior to graduation or obtaining my degree?

No. In order to qualify to sit for the NAPLEX you must confirm that you have received your undergraduate pharmacy degree.

I want to become licensed as an out-of-state mail order pharmacy, contact lens supplier, wholesale distributor, or manufacturer. The application instructions require license verification from all states in which my company is currently licensed including those states in which the company is no longer licensed. Why is this necessary?

Yes. You must submit official verification of licensure from each state in which your company is or has been licensed. A photocopy of your company's license(s) is not sufficient and will not be accepted.

Can a Maine licensed mail order pharmacy, contact lens supplier, manufacturer, or wholesale distributor change ownership and just send written notification to the board?

No. Company change of ownership requires the filing of a new application. Licenses are not transferable Pursuant to the Maine Pharmacy Act 32 MRS § 13752.

What is my responsibility as a Pharmacist in Charge for a pharmacy technician who has been terminated?

When a pharmacy technician employed by the pharmacy for which you are designated as PIC, you are required to requires to notify the board by letter, fax or email within 10 days of termination of the pharmacy technician. See, board rule Chapter 7 Section 7-B.

When a complaint is filed but the complainant does not identify a pharmacist or pharmacy technician, who is the complaint filed against?

Complaints that do not name a specific pharmacist or pharmacy technician are considered to be filed against the Pharmacist-in-Charge.

I am a pharmacist practicing in a licensed drug outlet. Am I obligated to dispense large amounts of syringes?

A licensed pharmacist is an authorized seller of hypodermic apparatus (32 MRSA § 13787-A. As such, a pharmacist is not restricted as to the quantity of hypodermic syringes provided they are for legitimate medical purposes. However, it is unlawful for a person to be in possession of more than ten hypodermic needles without a valid prescription. Quantity is a matter that is left to professional judgment and not regulated by the board.

I cannot find my license certificate. Can you send me a duplicate?
You may request a duplicate license online. There is no charge to have a replacement emailed to you from within a few minutes of your request.

Today, there are many categories of health care practitioners that have prescriptive authority. Who are they?

In Maine Who Can...

PRESCRIBE LEGEND DRUGS TO OUTPATIENTS Prescribe Legend Drugs Prescribe Controlled Substances Schedule II Prescribe Controlled Substances
Schedule III-IV-V
Nurse Practitioners(NP)
Nurse Midwives(CNM)
Yes Yes Yes
Chiropractor No No No
Dentist Yes Yes Yes
Doctor of Osteopathy Yes Yes Yes
Doctor of Homeopathy No No No
Medical Doctor Yes Yes Yes
Naturopathic Doctor(ND) Yes3 No No
Optometrist Yes2 Yes2 Yes2
Physician Assistant(PA) Yes Yes1
Only with specific authorization by the Board
Podiatrist Yes Yes4 Yes
Veterinary Yes Yes Yes

Chart last updated on 2001

1PAs cannot prescribe schedule II drugs without specific authorization from the Board of Licensure in Medicine. At this time no PAs have such authorization. For further information contact: Maine Board of Licensure in Medicine (207) 287-3601.
2Prescribing privileges, according to a limited formulary, and as authorized by the Board for Optometrists with Advanced Therapeutic Licenses. For further information about such persons authorized, contact the Board of Optometry at: (207) 624-8691.

3NDs may prescribe noncontrolled legend drugs by law within a limited formulary as identified in Chapter 6 of the Board of Complementary Health Care Provider rules.

4A licensed podiatrist may prescribe narcotic drugs for the treatment of ailments within the scope of the podiatrist's license with the approval of the Drug Enforcement Administration (32 MRSA § 3553).