Easy, Fast, and Convenient Applications - File Online!
The Office of Professional and Occupational Regulation is extremely pleased to offer you the ability to apply for an electrical permit online. Apply online at your convenience, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Payment may be made by credit/debit card.
No electrical equipment may be installed or altered unless the person making the installation first obtains a permit from the Electricians' Examining Board, or towns/cities that have their own electrical inspector. Exceptions to the State requirements would be:
- Single-family dwellings; (Certification is needed on single-family dwellings or licensed Master electrician may verify work);
- Permits are required for temporary services to build one family dwellings
- The electrical work and equipment employed in connection with the construction, installation, operation, repair or maintenance of any utility by a utility corporation in rendering its authorized service or in any way incidental thereto;
- Minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps, fuses lighting fixtures, switches and sockets, the installation and repair of outlets, radio and other low voltage equipment and the repair of entrance service equipment;
- Installations or alterations for which a permit and inspection are required by municipal resolution or ordinance under Title 30-A, section 4173;
- Any electrical equipment and work, including construction, installation, operation, maintenance and repair in or about industrial or manufacturing facilities; and
- Any electrical equipment and work, including construction, installation, operation, maintenance and repair in, on, or about other properties, equipment or buildings, residential or of any other kind, owned or operated by a person engaged in industrial or manufacturing operations provided that the work is done under the supervision of an electrical engineer or master electrician in the employ of that person.