- During normal business hours: Shellfish Program Coordinator, Phone: 207-633-9515
- During nights/weekends/holidays: The State Police barracks will put you in touch with Marine Patrol:
- From New Hampshire border to Brunswick, barracks 1-800-228-0857
- From Cushing/Boothbay to Lincolnville/Belfast area, barracks 1-800-452-4664
- From Belfast to Canadian border, barracks 1-800-432-7381
See the bottom of this page for warnings, disclaimer, and date of last update.
For the Biotoxin and Shellfish Sanitation Hotline call 1-800-232-4733 or 207-624-7727.
Please be sure your internet browser settings clear cached files when websites close or you may not view the most recent version of a closure notice. Holding control (shift for Mac) while clicking the refresh/reload page button will also assure the most recent legal notice is visible.
|Conditional Area||There are no closures at this time.||5/13/2022|
There are no closures at this time..
|Aquaculture||1010-D ; 1010-Q||6/21/2022|
|Pollution Abatement||Area EF (R.3) and WU (CR.1)||
|Sea Scallops||Area # 1000||
|Carnivorous Snails||Area # 1001||
|Mahogany/Ocean Quahogs||ME/NH Border to Schoodic Point (Winter Harbor) 164-A||
|Mahogany/Ocean Quahogs||Calf Point (Roque Bluffs) and Great Head (Cutler)164-B||
|Conservation Closures||Town Conservation Closure page||
|Growing Area Description||
Bacterial Notice Map
Biotoxin Notice Map
|WA-Piscataqua River (South Berwick) to Sisters Point (Kittery)||WA||WA Map||100-A||100-A Map|
|WB-Sisters Point (Kittery) to East Point (York)||WB||WB Map||100-A||100-A Map|
|WC-East Point (York) to Bald Head Cliff (York)||WC||WC Map||100-A||100-A Map|
|WD-Bald Head Cliff (York) to Cape Arundel (Kennebunkport)||WD||WD Map||100-A||100-A Map|
|WE-Cape Arundel (Kennebunkport) to Little River (Kennebunkport)||WE||WE Map||100-A||100-A Map|
|WF-Little River (Biddeford) to East Point (Biddeford)||WF||WF Map||100-A||100-A Map|
|WG-East Point (Biddeford) to Prouts Neck (Scarborough)||WG||WG Map||100-A||100-A Map|
|WH-Prouts Neck (Scarborough) to McKenney Point (Cape Elizabeth)||WH||WH Map||100-A||100-A Map|
|WI-McKenney Point (Cape Elizabeth) to Stockbridge Point (Freeport)||WI||WI Map||100-A||100-A Map|
|WJ-Stockbridge Point (Freeport) to Potts Point (Harpswell)||WJ||WJ Map||100-A||100-A Map|
|WK-Potts Point (Harpswell) to East Cundy Point (Cundys Harbor)||WK||WK Map||100-A||100-A Map|
|WL-East Cundy Point (Cundys Harbor) to Small Point (Phippsburg)||WL||WL Map||100-A||100-A Map|
|WM-Small Point (Phippsburg) to Indian Point (Georgetown)||WM||WM Map||100-A||100-A Map|
|WN-Indian Point (Georgetown) to Cape Newagen (Southport)||WN||WN Map||100-A||100-A Map|
|WP-Cape Newagen (Southport) to Ocean Point (Boothbay)||WP||WP Map||100-A||100-A Map|
|WQ-Ocean Point (Boothbay) to Shipley Point (South Bristol)||WQ||WQ Map||100-A||100-A Map|
|WR-Shipley Point (South Bristol) to Pemaquid Point (Bristol)||WR||WR Map||100-A||100-A Map|
|WS-Pemaquid Point (Bristol) to Martin Point (Friendship)||WS||WS Map||100-B||100-B Map|
|WT-Martin Point (Friendship) to Pleasant Point (Cushing)||WT||WT Map||100-B||100-B Map|
|WU-Pleasant Point (Cushing) to Marshall Point (Port Clyde)||WU||WU Map||100-B||100-B Map|
|WV-Marshall Point (Port Clyde) to Owls Head Light (Owls Head)||WV||WV Map||100-B||100-B Map|
|WW-Owls Head Light (Owls Head) to Cape Jellison (Stockton Springs)||WW||WW Map||100-B||100-B Map|
|WX-Squaw Point (Stockton Springs) to Dice Head (Castine)||WX||WX Map||64-A||64-A Map|
|WY-Islesboro||WY||WY Map||64-A||64-A Map|
|WZ-North Haven, Vinalhaven, and Matinicus||WZ||WZ Map||100-B||100-B Map|
|EA- Dice Head, Castine to Cape Rosier, Brooksville||EA||EA Map||64-A||64-A Map|
|EB- Cape Rosier, Brooksville to Naskeag Point, Brooklin||EB||EB Map||64-A||64-A Map|
|EC- Little Deer Isle, the Island of Deer Isle including Stonington||EC||EC Map||64-A||64-A Map|
|ED- Isle Au Haut||ED||ED Map||64-A||64-A Map|
|EE- Swans Island and Frenchboro||EE||EE Map||64-A||64-A Map|
|EF- Western Blue Hill Bay, Naskeag Point to Newbury Neck||EF||EF Map||64-A||64-A Map|
|EG- Eastern Blue Bay, Newbury Neck to Wonderland Southwest Harbor||EG||EG Map||64-A||64-A Map|
|EH- Seawall to Otter Cove and Cranberry Islands||EH||EH Map||64-A||64-A Map|
|EI- Great Head, Bar Harbor to Schoodic Point, Winter Harbor||EI||EI Map||64-A||64-A Map|
|EJ- Schoodic Point, Winter Harbor to Dyer Point, Steuben||EJ||EJ Map||64-A||64-A Map|
|EK- Dyer Bay, Dyer Harbor and Pinkham Bay||EK||EK Map||64-A||64-A Map|
|EL- Petit Manan Point to Ripley Neck||EL||EL Map||64-A||64-A Map|
|EM- Pleasant River, Addison, Cape Spilt, Columbia Falls and Harrington||EM||EM Map||64-A||64-A Map|
|EN- Cape Split, South Addison to Henry Point, including Jonesport and Beals||EN||EN Map||64-A||64-A Map|
|EP- Henry Point, Jonesport to Sea Wall Point, Roque Bluffs||EP||EP Map||64-A||64-A Map|
|EQ- Seawall Point, Roque Bluffs to Point of Maine, Machiasport||EQ||EQ Map||64-A||64- A Map|
|ER- Point of Maine, Machiasport to Cape Wash Cutler||ER||ER Map||64-B||64-B Map|
|ES- Cape Wash, Culter to Mowry Point, Lubec||ES||ES Map||64-B||64-B Map|
|ET- Lubec through Perry. Cobscook Bay||ET||ET Map||64-B||64-B Map|
|EU- St. Croix River; Eastport to Calais||EU||EU Map||64-B||64-B Map|
- Some Growing Areas contain conditional area classifications. These areas open and close depending on various conditions which effect pollution levels, such as waste water treatment plants, sewage treatment plants, marinas, rainfall or season. You may also check the hotline at 1-800-232-4733 to see whether or not the area is open or closed. Be advised that the best information comes from your local Marine Patrol Officer, local shellfish warden, or your local Marine Patrol office.
- This page was last updated on June 25, 2022.
The Department of Marine Resources makes every effort to ensure that published information is accurate and current. Neither the State of Maine, nor any agency, officer, or employee of the State of Maine warrants the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information published on this website, and shall not be held liable for any losses caused by reliance on the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of such information. Portions of the information may be incorrect or not current. Any person or entity that relies on any information obtained from this system does so at their own risk. Information on this site should not be relied upon for legal purposes.
Contact Kathleen Brosnan for a certified copy.
More info & help
- To view the legal notices select the Bacteral Notice (Chapter 95) or the Biotoxin Notice (Chapter 96). To view the maps, select the Bacterial Notice Map or the Biotoxin Notice Map. If there is no link, there is currently no closure.
- The links are PDF files; the notices are less than 1 MB in size and the maps are up to 4 MB in size, and may require the free Adobe Reader software (download here). If you require an alternate format, please contact Kohl Kanwit.
Exceptions to Closed Areas
- Species-specific Biotoxin Exception Areas are defined in the text and are subject to strict sampling requirements that ensure the safety of harvested product. Bivalve shellfish may be wet stored by certified dealers who are located in an exception area and currently hold a valid wet storage permit issued by the Department in accordance with DMR Regulations Chapter 15.32 to 15.35.
- Shellfish growing area classification program description
- Biotoxin and shellfish sanitation hotline:
- 1-800-232-4733 or 207-624-7727