Attention Halibut Endorsement Holders: DMR's Chapter 8 (Landings Program) regulations were recently modified to increase the frequency of commercial harvester reporting in the halibut fishery. The new regulations consist of two primary changes:
- Those who hold a halibut endorsement on their Maine commercial fishing license are now required to submit weekly trip-level catch reports during the halibut season (May 18-June 13).
- Those who hold a halibut endorsement must submit their weekly trip-level catch reports via an approved electronic method.
There are no changes to the data elements that are collected. A copy of the newly adopted halibut reporting regulations can be found on DMRs webpage .
The reporting week for halibut beings on Sunday at 12:01am and ends Saturday at midnight. Trip level catch reports must be submitted weekly by midnight on Monday, two days after the end of each reporting week. This means that between May 18 and June 13, halibut endorsement holders will need to submit reports on a trip-level basis for five weeks:
- Submit report(s) by Monday, May 23 for fishing activity during May 18-21
- Submit report(s) by Monday, May 30 for fishing activity during May 22-28
- Submit report(s) by Monday, June 6 for fishing activity during May 29-June 4
- Submit report(s) by Monday, June 13 for fishing activity during June 5-11
- Submit report(s) by Monday, June 20 for fishing activity during June 12-13
Frequently Asked Questions
DMR has posted on our website a list of Frequently Asked Questions regarding the new halibut reporting requirements. This includes information on who this requirement applies to, the start and end of the reporting week, when you are required to report, and what to do if you also hold a federal Northeast multispecies license.
You can find a copy of the FAQ HERE.
There are several ways to report electronically to DMR including VESL, the new harvester reporting app, and Maine LEEDs. Instructions on how to report electronically can be found HERE.
For questions about reporting, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 207.633.9500 (select Option 2 for Landings Program and then Option 4 for electronic reporting help)
For questions about the management of halibut, including state and federal regulations, contact Megan Ware at email@example.com or 207.446.0932