Data, Research and Vital Statistics - Forms
Vital Records Office hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Most of the following forms are fillable PDF's. Click on the blue hyperlink and fill out the form and print. Click on the Reset button to clear the form. PDF forms require Adobe Reader to view and print. The forms listed below are available from the Maine CDC Vital Records office. If a form that you want is not available on line, please call us at 1-888-664-9491, and we will send you the form(s).
Vital Records Request & Information
- Birth, Marriage, Divorce, and Death recordsVital Record Request order page.
- Vital Records application (PDF) Application for a search and certified copy of a vital record. Please fill out, print and return to the address stated on application along with a self-addressed, STAMPED envelope.
- Direct and Legitimate Interest (PDF) - Rules with examples to access closed records.
- EligMatrix (PDF) - Matrix for who can obtain a Certified or Non-Certified copy of a Vital Record.
- VS7 (PDF) - Application to Correct a Vital Record in Maine.
- VS7 Inst (PDF) - Instructions for Completing the Application to Correct a Vital Record in Maine
Birth Forms & Information
- VS8 (PDF) - Application for an Amended Birth Record following Legitimation Affidavit.
- VS8A inst (PDF) - Instructions for Applying for a new Birth Certificate following a Legitimation.
- VS27A (PDF) - Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity
- VS27B (PDF) - Denial of Parentage
- VS27C (PDF) - Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity Rescission/Removal
- VS40 (PDF) - Consent to Parentage from Assisted Reproduction
- VS60 (PDF) - Delayed Birth Registration.
- VS61 (PDF) - Instructions for filing Delayed Birth Registration.
- A Legal Change of Name on Maine Birth Record (PDF) - What you must do; what you should know.
- Facts You Should Know About Your Child's Birth Certificate (PDF) - Facts to know in the preparation of your child's birth certificate.
- Act Q and A (PDF)
- Gender Marker Change HCP Declaration (PDF) Declaration of Gender Transition or Intersex Condition by Licensed Health Care Professional - Effective July 14, 2020
- Gender Marker Change (PDF) Application to Change the Name and/or Sex on a Record of Live Birth to Support Gender Identity - Effective July 14, 2020
- Gender Marker Change Minor (PDF) Application to Change the Name and/or Sex of a Minor on a Record of Live Birth to Support Gender Identity - Effective July 14, 2020
- Gender Marker Q and A (PDF) - Effective July 14, 2020
Death Forms & Information
- Q & A for Death with Dignity (Word)
- Attending Physician Reporting Form (PDF)
- Consulting Physician Form (PDF)
- Interpreter Attachment Form (PDF)
- Request for Medication to End My Life in a Humane and Dignified Manner Form (PDF)
- End of Life Closure Form (PDF)
- Authorized Person Making Final Arrangements (PDF) - Instructions, process and documents required for making final arrangements.
- VS38 (PDF) - Application for Disinterment or Removal of Human Remains.
- VS50 Authorization for Burial of Cremated Remains (PDF) - Effective September 19, 2019
- Memo Q & A Authorization for the Burial or Removal of Cremated-Remains (PDF)
Marriage Forms & Information
- Persons Authorized to Solemnize Marriages in Maine (PDF)
- VS2-A (PDF) - State of Maine Intentions of Marriage (Black Ink Only) - Effective September 19, 2019
- Parental Guardian Consent to a marriage (PDF)
- Fetal Alcohol and Drug Brochure (PDF)
- Officiant Instructions (PDF) - Instructions for completing a non-resident application to perform a marriage in Maine.
- Genealogist Code of Ethics (PDF)
- Application for Genealogical Research (PDF) - Application to acquire a Maine CDC researcher card, which will allow genealogists to obtain non-certified copies of birth, marriage and death records from either the State Vital Records Office, or from any municipal office.
- Researcher Request form (PDF) - Allows genealogists to obtain non-certified copies of birth, marriage and death records from the Maine CDC Vital Records office.
- vraccess (PDF) - Procedure Document for Accessing Vital Records and Genealogical Research in Maine.
- Death/Marriage Tip sheet (PDF) - Tips for searching the online death and marriage portal for genealogical research
- Death Index
- Marriage Index
Adult Adoptee Access to Original Birth Certificate Rules and Forms
- Chapter 12 Adult Adoptee's Access to Original Birth Certificate (Rules) Chapter-12 (PDF)
- Application for Adult Adoptee to Original Birth Certificate form (PDF)
- Medical History form (PDF)
- Contact Preference form (PDF)
Adoption Reunion Registry Applications
- Who May Register (PDF) - (Instructions)
Restricted Access Forms for Courts
Access to these forms is restricted to those who have applied for and received a user id and password. If you do not have a user id and password, please visit the Application form.