Maine Water Well Commission
The Maine Water Well Commission was created by an act of the Legislature in 1994 to protect drinking water and groundwater quality by establishing standards for well location and construction and minimum requirements for licensure as a well driller or pump installer. The Commission also investigates complaints regarding potential violations of the Well Drillers and Pump Installers Rules, 144 CMR 232 (doc). The Commission meets on the second Wednesday of each month. Members are appointed by the Governor and include three licensed well drillers, three geologists employed by the State, and one layperson. The Commission can be contacted by calling its clerk at (207) 287-5699 or at DWPlicensing.dhhs@Maine.gov.
Complaints regarding the work of a licensed well driller or pump installer must be in writing (can be anonymous) and should include as much information as possible. Complaints must be received by the Commission within 2 years of the date the work in question was performed. Please include pictures, water quality test results, the location of the well, the name(s) of the individuals and companies that performed the work, the date the work was performed, and a written description of the problem and issues that initiated the complaint. Submit all of the above information to the Commission's clerk listed below. The Commission will review the complaint at its next regular meeting. Complaints determined to have the potential for a violation of the rules will be investigated by the Commission's independent inspector. Complaints that do not appear to include a violation of the rules will not be accepted for investigation. An example of a typical complaint that is not a violation of the rules is water with high amounts of iron. Drillers are not typically responsible for the levels of naturally occurring contaminants.
- Online license renewal is now available. Click here to open a new window and follow the instructions there. You will need either your current active license certificate (full-size, not wallet) or the renewal reminder letter that was mailed to you at the beginning of October. The online renewal service is available 24-7, although technical assistance is only available during regular business hours. Call (207) 287-2070 with any questions.
- New Notice of Intent to Hydrofrack is now available.
- Meetings will be held at 18 Elkins Lane, Harlow Building, Room 109, Augusta, ME until further notice.
Useful Links for Well Owners
- DWP Drinking Water Consumers page (Includes information for Private Well Owners)
- wellwater.maine.gov (Maine CDC site about well water safety)
- Maine Groundwater Association
- National Groundwater Association
Maine Water Well Commission Members:
Dwight Doughty, Department of Transportation, Chairperson
Daniel Locke, MGS, Geologist
Alex Pugh, DWP, Sr Hydrogeologist
Mike Otley, Public Member
Jesse Goodwin, Master Well Driller
Frank Hegarty, Master Well Driller
Glenn Dyer, Master Well Driller
Meetings & Minutes:
The Maine Water Well Commission meets monthly at 9:00 am every 2nd Wednesday.
The venue of the meeting will be announced after each meeting.
- MWWC MEETING – SPECIAL: Rules and Regulation changes – Thursday, May 26, 2022, 10am to 1pm.
- Location: 286 Water Street, Room 16, Key Bank Building, Augusta, ME
- MWWC MEETING – MONTHLY: Wednesday, June 8, 2022, 9am to 12pm.
- Location: 18 Elkins Lane, Room 109, Harlow Building, Augusta, ME
- MWWC MEETING – NONE
Zoom Meeting link. Click this link to join meeting.
|January 12, 2022||January 13, 2021||January 8, 2020||January 9, 2019||January 10, 2018|
|February 9, 2022||February 10, 2021||February 12, 2020||No Meeting||February 14, 2018|
|March 9, 2022||March 10, 2021||March 11, 2020||March 13, 2019||March 21, 2018|
|April 5, 2022
April 13, 2022
April 29, 2022
|April 14, 2021||No Meeting||April 10, 2019||April 11, 2018|
|May 11, 2022||May 12, 2021||May 13, 2020||May 8, 2019||May 9, 2018|
|June 8, 2022||June 9, 2021||June 10, 2020||June 12, 2019||June 13, 2018|
|July 13, 2022||July 14, 2021||July 8, 2020||July 10, 2019||July 12, 2018|
|August 10, 2022||August 11, 2021||August 12, 2020||August 14, 2019||No Meeting|
|Septmeber 14, 2022||September 15, 2021||No Meeting||September 11, 2019||September 12, 2018|
|October 12, 2022||October 13, 2021||Octoer 14, 2020||Octoer 9, 2019||No Meeting|
|November 9, 2022||November 10, 2021||November 10, 2020||November 13, 2019||November 14, 2018|
|December 14, 2022||December 8, 2021||December 9, 2020||December 11, 2019||December 12, 2018|
For copies of older minutes call (207) 287-2070.
The Well Driller and Pump Installer Exams are taken at the Drinking Water Program's office at 286 Water Street in Augusta, ME. Please contact the Commission, at (207) 287-2070 for further information about the exams.
Licensed Well Drillers and Pump Installers
Well Driller and Pump Installer License Renewal Form (PDF)
Apprentice Water Well Driller Application (PDF)
Journeyman Water Well Driller Exam Application (PDF)
Master Water Well Driller Exam Application (PDF)