Fall Foliage Hikes, Rides and Paddles
Autumn in Maine is a glorious time of year. The foliage puts on a spectacular show of colors. Below are resources to help plan your fall foliage hike, ride or paddle.
- Androscoggin Riverlands State Park (Foliage Zone 3*) - Kayak the Androscoggin River along the park. Park Guide & Map (PDF 1.7MB)
- Bigelow Preserve and Flagstaff Lake Public Lands (PDF 2MB) (Foliage Zone 5*) - Take in the foliage on the flanks of Bigelow Mountain by paddling on Flagstaff Lake at one of several access points in the Bigelow Preserve.
- Bradbury Mt. State Park (Foliage Zone 1*) - Hike to the top of the Mountain for picturesque views that extend all the way to the ocean on a clear day. (Summit Trail is 1/4-mile - a steep short 15-minutes of moderate difficulty; longer routes are available.)
- Aroostook State Park (Foliage Zone 7*) - Hike the trails or paddle Echo Lake. Park Guide & Map (PDF 2MB)
- Camden Hills State Park (Foliage Zone 1*) - Hike or drive to the top of Mt. Battie for fall colors and an ocean view. Park Guide & Map (PDF 2.4MB)
- Down East Sunrise Trail (Foliage Zone 2*) - Enjoy the DEST by bike, foot, horseback, or ATV. Download the DEST Guide & Maps.
- Grafton State Park & Mahoosuc Public Lands (PDF 1.5MB) (Foliage Zone 5*) - Route 26 is a scenic drive and the waterfalls at the park pullouts are great picnic spots. The Old Speck Trail provides a challenging but rewarding hike with great views 3.5 miles from the trailhead at the tower.
- Lily Bay State Park (PDF 846KB) (Foliage Zone 6*) - Hike along the shoreline trail or paddle along the shore of iconic Moosehead Lake.
- Mount Blue State Park (Foliage Zone 5*) - Drive to the interpretive lookout on Center Hill then hike the (0.5mi) Center Hill Trail. Or paddle Webb Lake. Park Guide & Map (PDF 1.6MB)
- Seboeis Public Lands (PDF 1.5MB) (Foliage Zone 4*) - Take in autumn's glory from Seboeis Lake. Waterside campsites; one trailerable and one hand-carry boat launch available for boaters and paddlers.
Track Foliage Change & Learn about Trees
- Peak foliage listings by region visit the Maine Foliage Reports provided by the Maine Forest Service.
- Forest Trees of Maine is the guide to Maine's Trees. Order or download it from the Maine Forest Service.
- For tourism information visit the Maine Office of Tourism website.