DACF Home → Bureaus & Programs → Bureau of Parks and Lands → Swimming
Maine offers world class beaches, lakes and waterways. Whether you are looking for a quick dip or a lengthy swim we offer many beautiful locations.
Swimming locations at Maine's Parks and Public Lands
Mix and match swimming with other recreation and facilities at our Find Parks and Lands Search Feature.
- Flotation devices are not allowed while swimming so you do not get pulled out to sea on a strong current. Face-masks and snorkels are also prohibited due to risk of being swamped by unpredictable waves.
- Scuba diving is allowed by permit only; call the park in advance.
- During the summer lifeguards are present at our most popular locations. Swimming is restricted to within established swim lines where present. Please monitor yourself and those swimming with you for tiredness, coldness, and that all are staying within their abilities. You are ultimately responsible for your safety.
Weather & Tides
- Watch the weather and be on the lookout for lightening.
- National Weather Service for regional and local weather forecasts.
- Check the tides before your visit to a coastal beach.
- National Weather Service for regional and local tides.
- Maine harbors tide and weather information.
Water Safety Tips American Red Cross.