Hunting & Bear Baiting
Maine Public Lands offer the opportunity to hunt in the backcountry.
- Use our Park Search Feature and select the hunting icon under “Search by Activities” to find the allowable hunting locations on Maine State Parks and Public Lands.
- For season information Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (IF&W) site
- Harvest data for black bear, whitetail deer, moose and wild turkey.
- The Maine Office of Tourism provides information about sporting camps and guide services.
- Opportunities for People with Disabilities - an IF&W listing.
- Tree Stand Guidelines (PDF 178KB)
Information is available from the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife including:
- Licenses and Permits
- Laws and Rules
- Season for Hunting and Trapping
Is allowed on Maine Public Lands with a permit from the Bureau of Parks and Lands.
- Bear bait sites are assigned, permitted and renewable in 3-year cycles.
- 2019 is the first of a new 3-year cycle.
- When applications for bait sites exceed the number of available sites, the available sites will be divided equally among the applicants. If the available sites cannot be divided equally among the applicants, the sites will be awarded by lottery.
- Lands Regions and Contact Info (PDF 430KB)
- Rules for Bear Baiting on Public Lands (PDF 13KB)
- 2019 Bear Bait Application (PDF 57KB) This is a fillable form that can be saved and submitted via email, or, you may print, complete, and return by email, fax or post. Acknowledgement of rules compliance is required.
- Applications must be received before 4pm on Monday, July 1, 2019
- After July 1, 2019, any available sites will be assigned on a first come, first served basis
- Do not include payment with application; fees are collected after sites are assigned.
2019 Bear Bait Site Maps
- 2019 Eastern Region Maps (PDF 823KB)
- Eastern Region GPS Coordinates May 2019 Tentative (PDF 11KB) Actual site coordinates may vary; final GPS coordinates will be printed on all permits and placards. Eastern Region only.
- 2019 Northern Region Maps (PDF 533KB)
- 2019 Western Region Maps (PDF 1.64MB)
Public Lands Regional Offices:
Eastern Region Public Lands
106 Hogan Road, Suite 5
Bangor, ME 04401
Phone: (207) 941-4412
Fax: (207) 941-4416
Western Region Public Lands
PO Box 327
129 Main Street
Farmington, ME 04938
Phone: (207) 778-8231
Fax: (207) 941-4416
Northern Region Public Lands
45 Radar Rd.
Ashland, ME 04732
Phone: (207) 435-7963 ext. 210
Fax: (207) 435-7184