Hunting & Bear Baiting
Maine Public Lands offer the opportunity to hunt in the backcountry.
- Use our Park Search Feature and select the hunting icon under “Search by Activities” to find the allowable hunting locations on Maine State Parks and Public Lands.
- For season information Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (IF&W) site
- Harvest data for black bear, whitetail deer, moose and wild turkey.
- The Maine Office of Tourism provides information about sporting camps and guide services.
- Opportunities for People with Disabilities - an IF&W listing.
- Tree Stand Guidelines (PDF 178KB)
Information is available from the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife including:
- Licenses and Permits
- Laws and Rules
- Season for Hunting and Trapping
- Bear Baiting is allowed on Maine Public Lands with a permit from the Bureau of Parks and Lands.
- Rules for Bear Baiting on Public Lands (PDF 13KB)
- Bear bait sites are assigned, permitted, and renewable in 3-year cycles.
- 2022 began a new 3-year cycle.
- Most sites that were assigned in 2022 have been renewed for 2023.
*** Please send an email to your regional office to inquire about available bear bait sites***
Contact names with linked emails are listed at the bottom of this page.
Bear Bait Site Maps for an entire region are below. Individual site maps are linked in the table.
- Eastern Region Bear Bait Site Maps in one PDF (5.8MB)
- Western Region Bear Bait Site Maps in one PDF ( 6.9MB)
- Northern Region Bear Bait Site Maps in one PDF (3.2MB)
Public Lands Regional Offices:
Eastern Region Public Lands
106 Hogan Road, Suite 5
Bangor, ME 04401
Phone: (207) 941-4412
Western Region Public Lands
PO Box 327
129 Main Street
Farmington, ME 04938
Phone: (207) 778-8231
Northern Region Public Lands
45 Radar Rd.
Ashland, ME 04732
Phone: (207) 768-6892