Forest Legacy Committee
- In 1994
- At the culmination of the work of the congressionally mandated Northern Forest Lands Council. The Council identified over thirty-five actions to reinforce the Northern Forest regions traditional patterns of land ownership and use, the first of which was to ensure the consistent and adequate funding by Congress of the Forest Legacy Program. This recommendation came at a time when both public and private efforts were growing to protect forest land in Maine from conversion to non-forest uses.
- To focus on acquiring conservation easements or fee interest in lands in order to protect the traditional uses and public values of Maines forests.
- Advise the Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry, Bureau of Parks and Lands on program policy.
- Recommend projects to be presented to Congress for funding through the national Forest Legacy Program.
Grant Announced by the Forest Legacy Program
The State of Maine is currently accepting applications to the Maine Forest Legacy Program from interested forest landowners. To be eligible for FY2024 funding, applicants must first contact Liz Petruska at the Bureau of Parks and Lands by May 13, 2022 to discuss the proposed project. Full application details will be provided following this initial contact.
Maine Forest Legacy Program Guiding Documents
- Map of Maine’s Forest Legacy Area (PDF 1MB)
- February 2020 Final Modified Assessment of Need (PDF 8MB)
Current Proposed Projects
- To be announced
Advisory Committee Meetings
|Date and Time||Headline||Location||Additional Information|
Advisory Committee Members
- Andy Cutko, Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands
- Don Mansius, Maine Forest Service
- Jim Connolly, Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife
- Will Brune, New England Forestry Foundation
- Ked Coffin, J.D. Irving
- Kate Dempsey, The Nature Conservancy in Maine
- Eliza Donoghue, Maine Audubon
- Don Kleiner, Maine Professional Guides Association
- Jessica Leahy, University of Maine Orono
- Catherine Robbins-Halsted, Robbins Lumber
- Peter Triandafillou, Huber
For more information, please contact:
Director - Division of Acquisition and Planning
Bureau of Parks and Lands
22 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0022
For more information visit the USFS Northeastern Area Forest Legacy program