Lake St. George State Park Conditions & Activities
Located on the northwest shore of beautiful Lake St. George just 16 miles west of Belfast and 25 miles east of Augusta on Maine Route 3 in Liberty, the park offers year-round activities and camping. Winter camping is also offered and available by reservation by calling the park. Visitors can rent canoes, paddle boats, or kayaks to explore the park's undeveloped shoreline.
Park Hours: Open all year; 9:00 a.m. to sunset daily unless otherwise signed at the gate.
Fee collected at entry booth by staff or self-service station.
Camping & Picnicking
- Family Camping / Reservations Information
- Lake St. George Campground Map (PDF 257KB)
- Campsite photos on Google Earth
- To view the campsites you will need to install the free Google Earth on your computer.
- Winter camping is allowed however you must contact the park staff prior to your visit to make arrangements (207) 589-4255 .
- No water is available.
- Group Picnic Shelter available by reservation.
- Picnic tables and grills are located near the beach which is just a short walk from the camping area.
- A trailerable boat launch site adjoins the park west of the campground. Both motorized and non-motorized boats are allowed. View other public boat launch locations.
- Summer open water and wintertime ice fishing
- Landlocked salmon and brook trout
- Fishing & fishing license information from Maine Inland Fisheries & Wildlife
- The swimming area is short walk from the campground.
- Lifeguards are on duty mid-June to mid-August.
- No groomed trails are available for cross-country skiing. Many people ski the lake when ice conditions are favorable.
- Old Jeep Trail
( 1.5 miles, moderate to difficult): One maintained hiking trail extends from the park entry booth to the river and is a moderate to difficult hike due to the hilly terrain. It is easier on the way out to the river than on the return. This trail is used by snowmobiles during the winter. Other trails are available but they are not maintained.
- 17 miles of snowmobile trails from Lake St. George to Frye Mountain in Montville are groomed by the Bureau.
- Current Weather
- Lake St. George State Park Homepage
- Campground Map (PDF 257KB)
- Park Brochure (PDF 574KB)
- Winter Camping (PDF 369KB)
- Year at a Glance Event Calendar
- Sortable Event Calendar for Bureau of Parks and Lands
- Take-it-Outside / Youth Ice Fishing Derby
- Department-wide sortable event & meeting calendar
- Ice Out Dates Page
Lake St.George State Park
278 Belfast Augusta Rd.
Liberty, ME 04949