License Requirements and Fees

hunting laws book cover

On this page:

Buy fishing license online

Who Needs a License?

A valid Maine fishing license is required for anyone 16 years of age or older, to fish in inland waters or transport fish taken from inland waters.

Back to top

How are Licenses Obtained?

Residents and nonresidents may obtain fishing licenses from agents throughout the State (sporting goods stores, many convenience stores, town clerks and turnpike service centers, online or from our Department office in Augusta.

Note: Not all town clerks issue nonresident licenses.

Back to top

Other Fishing License Provisions

A person is required to keep their fishing license with them at all times while fishing or transporting fish and must exhibit their license for inspection by any warden, department employee, guide, or landowner upon request. An electronic license or permit can now be displayed in lieu of a physical paper license or permit.

Possession of fishing tackle in the fields or forests or on the waters or ice of this State without a fishing license is prima facie evidence of fishing in violation of the law.The commissioner may allow a licensee who has received a complimentary fishing license (See General Fishing Laws and Definitions) to have a person accompany and assist that licensee in fishing. The person accompanying and assisting the holder of a complimentary fishing license may do so without obtaining a separate fishing license. This subsection does not authorize the person accompanying and assisting the licensee to assist that licensee with more than one fishing rod and reel. The person accompanying and assisting the licensee must remain within the imme-diate proximity of the licensee while that licensee is fishing.

Back to top

License Fees

Resident Non-Resident
License Fee License Fee
Season Fishing (16 and older) $25 Season Fishing (16 and older) $64
Combination Fishing and Hunting $43 Combination Fishing and Hunting $150
Combination Fishing and Archery $43 15-Day Fishing*** $47
1-Day Fishing* $11 7-Day Fishing $43
3-Day Fishing* $23 3-Day Fishing $23
Serviceman (Resident**) Combination $3 3-Day Fishing $23
Serviceman Dependent (Resident) Combination $20 1-Day Fishing $11
Serviceman Dependent (Resident) Fishing $10 Duplicate
(obtained from agent who issued original)

(obtained from agent who issued original)

Super Pack $207

* 1-day and 3-day fishing licenses may be exchanged by a Maine resident for a season fishing or combination hunting and fishing license upon payment of the difference between that fee and the fee for the season license, plus the agent's fee.
** Maine resident permanently stationed outside the state of Maine.
*** Nonresident 15-day fishing license may be exchanged for a nonresident season fishing license upon payment of $17 plus the agent's fee.
Fees listed do not include the agent fee.
Effective January 1, 2019, Alien licenses will no longer be available. A person who resides outside of the country will purchase a non-resident license at the non-resident license fee.
A non-resident between 18 and 23, inclusive, enrolled full-time in a college in Maine may be eligible for a resident rate license for fishing, hunting, & trapping. This license must be obtained at the main office in Augusta.
Note: Nonresidents who operate any motorized watercraft or aircraft equipped with pontoons on inland waters must display a Lake & River Protection Sticker in addition to a current boat registration sticker.

Free Fishing Days

Free fishing days are February 17-18, 2024 and June 1-2, 2024. On these days, any person (except those whose license has been suspended or revoked) may fish without a license. All other laws and regulations apply on these days.

Back to top

Maine Lifetime License

Pass on a Maine tradition and a gift that will last a lifetime.

Your investment in a lifetime license for yourself or as a gift, will allow the bearer to fish, trap, and/ or hunt for their lifetime, regardless of where they will live in the future. The revenues generated by the sale of these licenses will be deposited in a special trust fund that will provide longterm financial support for Maine's fish and wildlife.

Maine Resident Applicants 70 years of age:

For a one-time fee of $8.00, a senior lifetime license entitles the holder to all privileges they are qualified to receive including hunting, trapping, archery, and fishing. The license also includes the following: bear hunt, bear trap, migratory waterfowl, pheasant, spring and fall turkey, coyote night hunt, crossbow, muzzleloader, one expanded archery antlerless deer permit, and one expanded archery either-sex permit (allows either an antlered or antlerless deer but not both). Must still apply for antlerless and moose permits each year when applications become available.

Note: If you purchased a senior lifetime license before age 70, you do not have to pay the $8.00 fee, and the permits listed in the previous paragraph are included with your lifetime license anytime during the calendar year you turn 70 years of age. For more information about the Lifetime License Program, please call (207) 287-8000.

Residents Fishing Hunting Archery Trapping Combination
of any two*
Combination of all three*
5 years& under $150 $150 $150 $150 $250 $400
6 – 15 years $300 $300 $300 $300 $500 $800
65 years of age $50 $50 $50 $50 $80 $110
66 years of age $40 $40 $40 $40 $64 $94
67 years of age $30 $30 $30 $30 $48 $78
68 years of age $20 $20 $20 $20 $32 $52
69 years of age $10 $10 $10 $10 $16 $26
70 and older $8.00 — Covers all authorities that you are qualified to receive, see below.
Nonresidents Fishing Hunting Archery Trapping Combination
of any two*
Combination of all three*
5 years & under $450 $450 $450 $450 $750 $1,200
6 – 15 years $900 $900 $900 $900 $1,500 $2,400
* Hunting, fishing, archery
These fees are subject to change, please check with the Department for current fees.

Back to top

Super Pack License

This license, available to Maine residents only, permits an eligible person to hunt and fish for all legal game and fish species, subject to all of the laws governing fishing, hunting, and archery. The Super Pack License includes muzzleloader, crossbow, migratory waterfowl, pheasant, spring/fall turkey, bear hunting, coyote night hunt, and three expanded archery antlerless permits. The license includes a dog training and hunting permit which must be obtained through the MDIFW Augusta office via phone, email, mail, or in-person. It also includes one free chance in the moose lottery and entry into a special category in the antlerless deer permit lottery. Person must meet all respective safety course requirements to hunt with individual methods (i.e. crossbow, archery, etc.).

Back to top

Keep Your License With You

You are required to keep an electronic and/or paper copy of your fishing license with you while fishing or transporting fish, and if requested to do so, must present it for inspection to any warden, law enforcement officer, MDIFW employee, guide or landowner upon whose land you are fishing.

Back to top

Special Licenses

Special Privilege Licenses

Military Currently Stationed in Maine: Anyone serving in the U.S. Armed Forces and permanently stationed at a military base in Maine (including spouse and dependent children if they permanently reside with that person) may purchase a resident license to hunt, trap, or fish.

Maine Resident Military Currently Stationed Anywhere: Residents who are on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces and permanently stationed outside of Maine may purchase either a hunting, fishing, trapping, or combination hunting and fishing license for the Maine Resident Serviceman combination price upon verification that Maine is their home of record and that they are permanently stationed outside of Maine. Their spouse and any dependent children residing with them are also entitled to discounted rates.

Exchange Students: Any citizen of a foreign nation under age 21 who is living with a family in Maine for a cultural or educational exchange program may purchase a resident license to hunt or fish.

Back to top

Complimentary Licenses

A free fishing license will be issued, upon application, to the following (these free licenses may be obtained at the Department Office in Augusta):

  1. Any Maine resident who is blind (Title 12, §10853-2);
  2. Any Maine resident (or nonresident, if reciprocal privileges exist in the home state of the nonresident) who is suffering from the loss, or loss of use, of both lower extremities (Title 12, §10853-3);
  3. Any person with a developmental disability (as defined in Title 5, §19503) (Title 12, §10853-10);
  4. Any person with a head injury (as defined in Title 22, §3086) (Title 12, §10853-12); and
  5. Any resident 16 or 17 years old in the custody of the Dept. of Health and Human Services (Title 12, §10853-16).
  6. Any person or entity that allows a group of persons with disabilities to fish in a location for a period of time as specified on the license (Title 12, SS10853-17).

To apply for a complimentary fishing license, please complete the Complimentary Hunting and Fishing Application form (PDF).

Disabled Veterans: Maine resident and nonresident veterans (if reciprocal privileges exist in their home state) who have been honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces or the National Guard and have a service-connected disability of 50% or more will be issued, upon application, a complimentary license to fish, trap, or hunt (including all necessary permits and other permissions, and upon meeting qualifications, a guide's license) as well as one expanded archery either sex permit and one expanded archery antlerless deer permit. Veterans must still apply for any-deer & moose permits each year.

These licenses can be obtained at Maine Bureau of Veterans Services Central Office located at (Camp Keyes) 194 Winthrop Street Augusta, ME 04333 or emailing
Their hours are 7:30am to 4:00pm Monday through Friday.

Licenses can also be obtained by completing and mailing in the application form (PDF).

Native Americans: The commissioner shall issue a complimentary lifetime hunting, archery, trapping and fishing license, including permits and other permissions needed to hunt, trap and fish, to a person, who is an enrolled member of the Passamaquoddy Tribe, the Penobscot Nation, the Houlton Band of Maliseet Indians, or the Aroostook Band of Micmacs, if the person presents certification from the respective reservation governor or the Aroostook Micmac Council stating that they are an enrolled member of that federally recognized nation, band or tribe.

Back to top