Laws & Rules
Search the Fishing Laws & Rules
- General Fishing Law Seasons and Bag Limits
- General Fishing Laws and Definitions
- Special Fishing Laws
- Fishing License Requirements and Fees
- Baitfish Information
- Illegal Introductions
- Fishing with Soft Plastics
- Recreational Angling for Migratory Fish
- International Waters Between Maine & New Brunswick
- Interstate Waters Between Maine & New Hampshire
- Tribal Waters
- Fish Consumption Advisory
- Regulating Harvest
How to Find the Fishing Regulations for the Water You Want to Fish
- General Fishing Laws apply to all inland waters. See General Fishing Laws.
- Check if the water you want to fish is listed in the alphabetical Special Fishing Laws.
- If water is listed - Any exceptions to the General Laws will be designated by text or Special Season or Law Codes.
- If water is not listed - Only General Fishing Laws apply. Unlisted Tribal Waters located in Passamaquoddy or Penobscot Indian Territory are an exception. See Tribal Water Laws.
Keep in Mind:
Some waters (tributaries, outlets, connected waters) are not listed individually and may be listed with the main waterbody, or waters with an S-3 code (tributaries closed to taking smelts).
Some waters are collectively listed under one of the following area listings: Allagash Wilderness Waterway, Baxter State Park.