Home → Programs & Resources → Environmental Review
MDIFW’s statutory mandate (12 MRSA, § 10051) is “…to preserve, protect, and enhance the inland fisheries and wildlife resources of the State; to encourage the wise use of these resources; to ensure coordinated planning for the future use and preservation of these resources; and to provide for effective management of these resources.” With this in mind, MDIFW staff undertake another of our responsibilities, providing recommendations to the environmental permitting programs of the Maine Department of Environmental Protection (MDEP) and the Maine Land Use Planning Commission (LUPC). Our primary concerns involve Rare, Threatened, and Endangered species and habitats; Significant Wildlife Habitats; and Protected Natural Resources. MDIFW’s responsibility is of an advisory capacity based on our expertise within the topic areas noted above. The final permitting decisions rest with the regulatory agencies.
MDIFW staff review each proposed project independently and evaluate any site-specific concerns that may be presented. We work with applicants, consultants, and regulators to identify ways to avoid or minimize significant adverse impacts to wildlife, fisheries, and critical habitats to the extent practicable. And, when possible, we look for opportunities to mitigate or offset such impacts. We, the residents of the State of Maine, are uniquely blessed with fisheries and wildlife resources that we believe to be unparalleled elsewhere. It is the responsible stewardship of these resources that ensures this into the future. With many proposed projects, there are competing opinions and positions. As with all proposed development projects that we review, MDIFW provides agency comments and recommendations to State regulatory agencies, within the legal and regulatory frameworks provided.
The following reference documents outline MDIFW’s recommendations in several important subject areas. For more information, please contact IFWEnvironmentalreview@maine.gov.
- Avian Resources in Maine’s Coastal Plain (PDF)
- Essential Habitats of Endangered and Threatened Species - Request for Project Evaluation (PDF)
- Forest Management and Vernal Pools (PDF)
- Forest Management Recommendations for Brook Trout (PDF)
- Forest Management Recommendations for the Wood Turtle (PDF)
- Forestry Habitat Management Guidelines for Vernal Pool Wildlife (PDF)
- Performance Standards for Inland Waterfowl and Wadingbird Habitats in Overhead Utility ROW Projects (PDF)
- New England Cottontail 2018 Research and Management Report (PDF)
- Performance Standards for Deer Winter Areas in Overhead Utility ROW Projects (PDF)
- Performance Standards for Riparian Buffers in Overhead Utility ROW Projects (PDF)
- Performance Standards for Significant Vernal Pools in Overhead Utility ROW Projects (PDF)
- Rare Animal Survey Form (PDF)
- Representative Photographs of Suitable Bat Rock-Roosting Areas (PDF)
- Roaring Brook Mayflay and Spring Salamander Guidelines (PDF)
- Solar Energy Project General Resource Guidance and Recommendations (PDF)
- USEPA Ecoregions of Maine (PDF)
- Maine Wind Power Preconstruction Recommendations and Turbine Curtailment Recommendations to Avoid/Minimize Bat Mortality (PDF)
To view PDF documents, you will need the free Adobe Reader. If you need assistance, view our PDF Help page, or email us.