Explore with us!
Swan Island, at the head of Merrymeeting Bay, welcomes hikers, campers, birders, wildlife watchers, and explorers to its shores for an unforgettable Maine experience close to home!
Visitors can paddle to the island or take our passenger ferry across the Kennebec River. Once on the Island you can begin your exploration or travel in our tour truck to the campground.
Free Thursdays: We partnered with LLBean to offer free visitation and camping every Thursday from July 8 thru October 14! Just call 207-592-0579 to make a hiking or camping reservation!
First-time camper and no tent? No problem! During these Thursdays, staff will setup a tent for you.
Activities, Amenities & Facilities
- 10 Adirondack shelters in a grassy field overlooking Little Swan Island and Kennebec River
- Fire pit and picnic table at each site
- One group tent site
- Drinking water
- Clean, modern restrooms
- Utility/dish room
- Firewood available at $8/bundle
- Picnic shelter can be rented for events
- Canoe & kayak rentals
- 7 miles of easy to moderate hiking
- 4.5-mile dirt road for hiking/biking
- Fishing pond for kids 15 and under
- Wildlife viewing tower
- 5 Historic homes visible from the gravel road
- Interpretive displays
- Bird watching
- Wildlife viewing
- Swimming at your own risk