Swan Island Wildlife Management Area
Explore with us!
Swan Island, at the head of Merrymeeting Bay, welcomes hikers, campers, birders and explorers to its shores for an unforgettable Maine experience.
Access by canoe or our passenger ferry across the Kennebec River to your remote getaway... close to home. Once on the Island you can begin your exploration or travel in our tour truck to the campground. From there, explore the campground area, historic homes, rent a kayak to explore the islands, walk the scenic gravel road to Theobald Point, or begin exploring 7-miles of hiking trails.
2020 Season: June 1 to October 23
Make your reservation now!
- Things to See and Do
- Ferry Schedule and Self-access
- Field Trips to Swan Island
- Rules & FAQ
- Directions & Map
Activities, Amenities & Facilities
- 10 Adirondack shelters in a grassy field overlooking Little Swan Island and Kennebec River
- Fire pit and picnic table at each site
- One group tent site
- Drinking water
- Clean, modern restrooms
- Utility/dish room
- Firewood available at $4/bundle
- Picnic shelter can be rented for events
- Canoe & kayak rentals
- Swimming at your own risk
- 7 miles of easy to moderate hiking
- 4.5-mile dirt road for hiking/biking
- Fishing pond for kids 15 and under - fishing gear provided!
- Wildlife viewing tower
- 5 Historic homes visible from the gravel road
- Interpretive displays
- Bird watching
- Wildlife viewing
Swan Island Events
Directions & Map
To get to Swan Island, take Route I-295 to Exit 43 (Richmond/Litchfield). From the exit, follow Route 197 East for approximately 3 miles to Richmond Village. Turn left at the intersection of Routes 197 and 24. The Swan Island parking lot, marked with a brown State of Maine sign, is immediately on your right, next to the brick Richmond Utilities District building.