Popham Beach State Park Conditions & Activities
Located on Maine Route 209 in Phippsburg, 14 miles south of Bath (Lat. 43.738436, Lon. -69.798309), Popham Beach State Park is Maine's busiest state park beach. Facilities include bathhouses, fresh-water solar rinse-off showers, and charcoal grills. Sand movement resulting from beach dynamics has had a dramatic effect on Popham Beach, causing extreme shoreline change and dune erosion. Please support re-establishment of the dunes by staying on the trails to the beach and avoiding all vegetated areas. Visitors can walk to Fox Island at low tide, but are warned to pay attention to the quick-rising tides so as not to get marooned.
See the current weather and tide links in the right column under Related Links.
Park Hours: Open all year; 9:00 a.m. to sunset daily unless otherwise signed at the gate.
Fee collected year-round at entry booth by staff or self-service station.
- Pets are welcome on state park beaches, provided they are leashed, from October 1st through March 31st.
- Pets are not allowed on beaches between April 1 and September 30.
- Additional information about pets at state parks and historic sites.
- Are allowed on the beach from October 1 through March 31.
- Picnic tables and charcoal grills are located near the beach, all with views of the water.
- Stand-up paddle boarding is a popular activity here.
- Sea kayaking is a great way to enjoy the coastline.
- The closest trailerable boat launch site is located on the Kennebec River in Phippsburg. This is a hard-topped 150-ft all-tide ramp. View other public boat launch locations.
- Surf casting is popular, with Striper being the most commonly caught species.
- Fishing & fishing license information from Maine Inland Fisheries & Wildlife
Swimming & Surfing
- Swimming has right-of-way over all other water use, however do stay alert to your surroundings and the other recreational activities.
- Check the current weather and tide information by using the links found in the right column of this page under Related Links.
- Sandy beach at swimming area.
- Personal flotation devices, including life jackets, are not allowed at this surf beach for safety reasons, however leashed boogie boards are allowed. Rip currents will carry a person wearing a life-vest out to sea very quickly.
- Know what to do if caught in a rip current; swim parallel to the shore until you clear the outward pull of the rip, then swim in to shore.
- Inexperienced swimmers and children should use caution and have experienced swimmers with them. Remember that shallow water can still be of danger and have strong currents too.
- Due to consistently strong currents, attempts to swim to the islands are strongly discouraged.
- Wheelchair accessible. Beach wheelchair available pending availability on a first come, first served basis.
- Surfers frequent Popham; experienced surfers especially enjoy winter surfing.
- Lifeguards are on duty mid-June to mid-August.
- Current Weather
- Current Tide Information
- Geology - Seawall and Popham Beach Dynamics
- Group Picnic Areas
- Park Passport Program
- Year at a Glance Event Calendar
Popham Beach State Park
10 Perkins Farm Lane
Phippsburg, ME 04562
Maine Route 209 in Phippsburg, 14 miles south of Bath.