Eastern Interior Region - Management Plan
In July 2009, the Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands adopted a 15-year management plan for approximately 57,000 acres of Public Reserved Lands in the Eastern Interior Region, located in Washington, Hancock, Penobscot and southern Aroostook Counties. The plan guides the management activities on public lands at Duck Lake; Bradley; Machias River; and 21 smaller lots, all under 1,000 acres in area.
If you cannot open the PDF files below get the free Adobe Reader software.
Plan Update and Review
The Bureau of Parks and Lands has completed the second Five-Year Review of the 2009 Eastern Interior Region Management Plan covering the period from 2014 through 2019. The Integrated Resource Policy (IRP) requires that the Bureau, at five year intervals, report to the Advisory Committee on accomplishments and changing conditions that may warrant amendments to the plan.
The Five-Year Review is prepared in a table format. It is linked below as a PDF under Management Plan Review Documents. It:
- Lists plan recommendations (left column), and
- Actions taken to implement each recommendation (right column), and
- Identifies, from the Bureau's perspective, any issues any new issues or circumstances that were not addressed in the plan that may warrant Committee discussion or action (at end of table).
The Five-Year Review table was sent to Advisory Committee Members on September 5, 2019.
As described below the review table, the Bureau identified one new issue: the development of a management plan for the 6,000-acre Orient parcel acquired in March 2016. The Bureau drafted a plan for the parcel to be appended to the Eastern Interior Plan. The plan also addresses the East Grand Lake/Orient Conservation Easement. The Bureau also notified the AC of the potential for the Bureau to host a Maine Adaptive Silviculture Network (MASN) forestry research site at the Duck Lake Unit.
The Bureau asked AC members for comments on the review table and to identify any new issues or circumstances that may require Committee input or action. Written comments were accepted for three weeks following the email distribution of the review materials. Five Committee members submitted comments; no new issues were identified. Comments on the draft East Grand/Orient Management Plan were requested in a follow-up message. Four Committee members submitted comments.
On September 17, 2020, the Bureau held a public meeting to present the Final Draft East Grand/ Management Plan and to listen to questions and take comments. Due to restrictions on public gatherings in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the public meeting was conducted using TEAMS videoconferencing services. The meeting presentation is linked below under Management Plan Documents, as is the final Plan.
A Final Report on the Five-Year Review, summarizing the review process and the Bureau’s responses to comments (linked below under Management Plan Review Documents) was sent to the Advisory Committee on January 9, 2020.
No meetings currently scheduled.
Management Plan Review Documents
- 5-year Review Table 2019 (PDF 258KB)
- Final Report Memo to Advisory Committee – January 2020 (PDF 297KB)
Management Plan Documents
- Eastern Interior Region Management Plan - July 2009 (PDF 2.6MB)
- Map of Eastern Interior Region (PDF 6.2MB)
- Public Meeting Presentation - Orient Unit Management Plan (PDF 951KB)
- Final East Grand/Orient Management Plan – November 2020 (PDF 5 MB)
Plan is available in smaller files:
- Introduction, Planning Process, and Planning Context PDF (700KB)
- Duck Lake Unit PDF (2MB)
- Bradley and Machias River Units PDF (1.8MB)
- Small Public Lots PDF (688KB)
- Appendices PDF (500KB)
For more information:
Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands
22 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04333