DACF Home → Bureaus & Programs → Bureau of Parks and Lands → Grants → Land and Water Conservation Fund
Land and Water Conservation Fund
The Land and Water Conservation Fund Act of 1964 (LWCF) was established to assist federal, state and local governments in the acquisition and/or development of public outdoor recreation facilities. Administered at the federal level by the National Park Service and at the state level by the Bureau of Parks and Lands in the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry, LWCF grants can provide up to 50% of the allowable costs for approved acquisition or development projects for public outdoor recreation.
Application Period for 2023 Grant Round
The application period for 2023 grant round is open through June 30, 2023.
The only eligible applicants are the State of Maine, counties, municipalities, school districts, and tribal nations.
Application and support documents for the current round are posted below.
Maximum grant award for this round will remain at $500,000.
No minimum award level, but applicants considering a request of $20,000 or less should discuss their project concepts with the grant manager before applying.
Eligible agencies are encouraged to contact the Grants and Community Recreation program at the address below for assistance and guidance in the application process. To be eligible for the next round you must request a site inspection by the end of 2022.
Grants and Community Recreation
Bureau of Parks and Lands
124 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04333
Mathew Henion, Outdoor Recreation Grants Specialist
E-mail address: Mathew.B.Henion@maine.gov
Maine State Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan (SCORP)
Application Forms & Downloads
Listed below are the current round application and guidance documents.
To read the PDF files you will need a copy of the free Adobe Reader software.
PRE-APPROVAL SITE INSPECTION REQUEST DEADLINE
Potential 2024 applicants must request a
site inspection by December 31, 2023.
SITE INSPECTION REQUEST LINK COMING SOON
2023 APPLICATION DEADLINE*Applications must be submitted on or before
close of business (5:00 PM) on
Friday, June 30, 2023
*Potential applicants must have requested a
site inspection by
December 31, 2022.
- Folder 1 - Transmittal Letter (Word 109KB)
- Folder 1 - Sample Warrant Article / Certification (Word 15 KB)
- Folder 3 - Sample Location Map (PDF 21 KB)
- Folder 3 - Sample Project Boundary Map (PDF 171 KB)
- Folder 4 - Sample Cost Estimates (PDF 645 KB)
- Folder 4 - Appraisal Information (PDF 27 KB)
- Folder 5 - Environmental Screening Form (Word 14 KB)
- Folder 7 - Assurances-Construction (PDF 35 KB)
- Folder 7 - Sample Joint Use Agreement (PDF 22 KB)
- LWCF Fiscal Procedures (PDF 630 KB)
- LWCF Stewardship Obligations (PDF 1.42 MB)
- ME Open Project Selection Process (PDF 350 KB)
- Folder 3 - Sample Site Plan (PDF )
- Folder 4 - Application Budget (None Excel 18 KB)
- Folder 2 - LWCF Application (Word 85 KB)
- Application Guidance (PDF 350 KB)
- Folder 1 - Application Checklist (Word 19 KB)