Cross-country Skiing and Snowshoeing Trails and Tips
Maine is a winter wonderland and our Parks and Public Lands offer ample opportunities to ski and snowshoe. If you are new to either activity, check our year-at-glance event calendar for the arrival of the Ski and Snowshoe Trailer at a Park near you and get free use of the gear with your park admission. And join us on our Winter Family Fun Days!
- Our Park Search Feature lets you mix and match activities with park facilities. Click on the snowshoeing and cross country skiing icons. Also take a look at the multi-use rail trails.
- Want a multi-day experience? Find out about camping opportunities:
- Traveling with your dog? Please read about Pets in the Parks.
Cross-country Skiing and Snowshoeing
Trail conditions are posted below for our three reporting parks. Call for the park directly for the latest trail conditions and availability of winter camping.
- Aroostook State Park - a winter-lovers paradise where the season is extensive. Trail Conditions or call (207) 768-8341.
- Bradbury Mountain State Park offers a variety of trails and snowshoe rentals. Trail Conditions or call (207) 688-4712.
- Camden Hills State Park offers great trails and ocean views. Trail Conditions or call (207) 236-0849.
- Cobscook Bay State Park offers groomed trails in a beautiful Downeast setting. Trail Conditions or call (207) 726-4412.
- Mount Blue State Park offers groomed trails in addition to un-groomed trails. The warming hut and ice skating near the park headquarters on Center Hill Road make this a great park to spend a winters day. Trail Conditions or call (207) 585-2261.
- Sebago Lake State Park offers groomed & ungroomed easy to moderate trails that meander through a variety of forest types and woodland cover as well as stretch along the Songo River and a portion of the north shore of Sebago Lake. Trail Conditions or call (207) 693-6231.
- Vaughan Woods State Park beautiful trails through a stately hemlock forest. No Camping.
- Wolfe's Neck Woods State Park easy trails make this a great spot for beginners and as well as those that prefer level terrain. No camping. Trail Conditions or call (207) 865-4465.
Beach Walking sand beaches Winter is a great time to beach walk in the intertidal area.
Check the tides before you go.
- Crescent Beach State Park - a classic saltwater beach.
- Ferry Beach State Park also offers pond, bog walk and forest walks, famed tupelo trees and a nature center.
- Fort Popham State Historic Site take in a beach walk and a fort visit.
- Reid State Park offers both sand beach and rocky shoreline.
- Scarborough Beach State Park a very popular swimming and sunning location.
Additional Trail Resources:
- Maine Trail Finder maps and a searchable database of trails throughout Maine.
- Maine Appalachian Trail Club includes online maps and resources.
- Maine Office of Tourism
- First Aid basic supplies include band aids, moleskin, 4x4 pads and first aid tape. Check with your local American Red Cross for first aid kit tips and classes.
- Carry plenty of water, sun screen and a snack. Dress in layers for warmth plus protection from wind & water.