DACF Home → Bureaus & Programs → Bureau of Parks and Lands → About Us
Our Mission is to protect and manage the natural and cultural resources under our care in order to:
- Offer a wide range of recreational and educational opportunities
- Provide environmental and economic benefits for present and future generations
Over 700,000 acres are managed by the Bureau of Parks and Lands. Conservation easements and leases bring the total land area managed to over 2 million acres. These lands are managed for a variety of resource values including:
- Cultural and Historic preservation
- Family and Group Camping
- Specific Activities - searchable at our Park Finder
- Event Calendar
- Purchase a Park Pass
Our Website - designed to:
- Help you plan your next visit to a State Park, Public Land, or State Historic Site.
- Highlight other opportunities including volunteerism, employment, and business opportunities.
- Provide educational information about the Parks, Public Lands, and Historic Sites and what we do.
- Send your feedback to the Webmaster.
Management Planning Process
The Bureau regularly seeks public input through its management planning process for all Public Lands. The Bureau updates its management plans on a rotating five-year schedule. For additional opportunities to comment or provide management suggestions and feedback, please call (207-287-2163) or email Jim Vogel and include your name, email and/or phone number, and a summary of your interest or concern. Parties seeking to appeal a decision of the Bureau are directed to the Maine Administrative Procedure Act, 5 M.R.S. §11001-11008, which provides for judicial review of final Bureau action. See 5 M.R.S. §11001-11008.