DACF Home → Bureaus & Programs → Bureau of Parks and Lands → About Us → Historic Sites
State Historic Sites
Maine’s State Historic Sites are managed just like its state parks but with some additional rules relating to the historic nature of each site. In managing these sites, the bureau staff:
- Preserve the historic structures, artifacts and archaeological resources.
- Interpret the significance of each historic site through signage, museum exhibits, tours and other methods.
- Care for more than 100,000 historic artifacts.
- Manage five state-owned museums at various sites.
- Continually conduct historical research about each site and its importance.
- Maintain files and Web sites for each historic site with research and interpretive material.
Our Contact Information:
Bureau of Parks and Lands, 22 State House Station, Augusta, Maine 04333-0022