Hunting & Bear Baiting
Maine Public Lands offer the opportunity to hunt in the backcountry.
- Use our Park Search Feature and select the hunting icon under “Search by Activities” to find the allowable hunting locations on Maine State Parks and Public Lands.
- For season information Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (IF&W) site
- Harvest data for black bear, whitetail deer, moose and wild turkey.
- The Maine Office of Tourism provides information about sporting camps and guide services.
- Opportunities for People with Disabilities - an IF&W listing.
- Tree Stand Guidelines (PDF 178KB)
Information is available from the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife including:
- Licenses and Permits
- Laws and Rules
- Season for Hunting and Trapping
Is allowed on Maine Public Lands with a permit from the Bureau of Parks and Lands.
- Bear bait sites are assigned, permitted and renewable in 3-year cycles.
- 2021 is the third year of the current cycle.
- Lands Regions and Contact Info (PDF 430KB)
- Rules for Bear Baiting on Public Lands (PDF 13KB)
- All bait sites were assigned in 2020.
- If any sites are forfeited by their assignees, they will become available on a first come, first served basis.
- Please contact your regional office to apply for available sites.
Public Lands Regional Offices:
Eastern Region Public Lands
106 Hogan Road, Suite 5
Bangor, ME 04401
Phone: (207) 941-4412
Fax: (207) 941-4416
Western Region Public Lands
PO Box 327
129 Main Street
Farmington, ME 04938
Phone: (207) 778-8231
Northern Region Public Lands
45 Radar Rd.
Ashland, ME 04732
Phone: (207) 768-6892
Fax: (207) 435-7184