Hunting & Bear Baiting
Maine Public Lands offer the opportunity to hunt in the backcountry.
- Use our Park Search Feature and select the hunting icon under “Search by Activities” to find the allowable hunting locations on Maine State Parks and Public Lands.
- For season information Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (IF&W) site
- Harvest data for black bear, whitetail deer, moose and wild turkey.
- The Maine Office of Tourism provides information about sporting camps and guide services.
- Opportunities for People with Disabilities - an IF&W listing.
- Tree Stand Guidelines (PDF 178KB)
Information is available from the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife including:
- Licenses and Permits
- Laws and Rules
- Season for Hunting and Trapping
Is allowed on Maine Public Lands with a permit from the Bureau of Parks and Lands.
- Bear bait sites are assigned, permitted and renewable in 3-year cycles.
- 2022 will begin a new 3-year cycle.
- Applications for bear bait sites on Maine Public Lands will be available on this website and through the Regional Offices beginning at 9:00am, Wednesday, June 1, 2022.
- Bait site maps for all Public Lands will be posted here on June 1, 2022.
- Completed applications will need to be received by the regional offices before 4:00pm, Thursday, June 30, 2022.
- Sites assigned in 2022 will be eligible for renewal in 2023 and 2024.
- Lands Regions and Contact Info (PDF 430KB)
- Rules for Bear Baiting on Public Lands (PDF 13KB)
Public Lands Regional Offices:
Eastern Region Public Lands
106 Hogan Road, Suite 5
Bangor, ME 04401
Phone: (207) 941-4412
Western Region Public Lands
PO Box 327
129 Main Street
Farmington, ME 04938
Phone: (207) 778-8231
Northern Region Public Lands
45 Radar Rd.
Ashland, ME 04732
Phone: (207) 768-6892