DACF Home → Bureaus & Programs → Bureau of Parks and Lands → Discover History & Explore Nature → Activities & Events →First Day Hikes
First Day Hikes - January 1, 2023
Maine State Park First Day Hikes, part of the nationwide initiative led by America’s State Parks to encourage people to get outdoors, are a combination of led and self-guided hikes, and virtual visits for 2023.
- Guided Program Listings:
- Holbrook Island Sanctuary, Brooksville
- Two Lights State Park, Cape Elizabeth
- Wolfe's Neck Woods State Park, Freeport
- Self-guided Hike Locations:
- Camden Hills State Park, Camden - download self-guided hike.
- Bradbury Mt. State Park, Freeport - download self-guided hike.
- Popham Beach State Park, Phippsburg - download seashore activity pages.
- Reid State Park, Georgetown - Access: Follow Todd's Point Road to Todd's Point Parking area to access the self-guided trail. The Little River Trail begins on the far end of the lot near the river. Note: Griffith Head Parking lot and the access road are closed due to storm damage until further notice. Text REID to 888-514-7527 to get Park Condition Alerts. Download the Little River Trail self-guided hike.
- Wolfe's Neck Woods State Park, Freeport - download the self-guided hike.
- Additional Self-guided Hike Guides are available in the right column of this page.
- Share your self-guided hike photos and comments with us by tagging @mainedacf to Instagram and Facebook.
- Stay Informed with Safety Updates.
Bradbury Mt. State Park, Pownal, Maine.
Experience or re-live the 2020 First Day Hike with Governor Mills and an enthusiastic group of hikers who made the trek to the summit of Bradbury Mountain on a glorius blue sky day! Start your journey!
Holbrook Island Sanctuary, Brooksville, Maine.
Holbrook Island Sanctuary offers a scenic natural area of upland forests, rocky shores, and an offshore island. Opportunities include hiking, nature appreciation, and cross-country skiing in winter. Start your journey with Aislinn Sarnacki, Adventure expert, Bangor Daily News.
For the Snowbirds who have had to remain in Maine and those looking for a tropical paradise:
Kaiwi State Scenic Shoreline, O‘ahu
Kaiwi's First Day Hike celebration is a multicultural event. The day begins with the customary blowing of the Pu (conch shell - at 3 minutes and 50 seonds into the video), followed by bagpipes, and a taiko drum performance. Aerial shots of the beautiful shoreline follow the opening ceremony. Start your journey!
Take an 11 mile stunningly beautiful hike on the coastal Kalalau Trail plus a scenic flight aboard a helicopter for an awesome ride - all in less than eight minutes! This is a terrific video to watch while doing your own workout. Start your journey!