Western Mountains Region Management Plan
In January 2011 the Bureau of Parks and Lands adopted a 15-year management plan for approximately 66,500 acres of public lands in the Western Mountains Region, crafted with the invaluable input from the Advisory Committee as well as the general public. The plan guides the management activities of the Bureau on public lands at Mahoosuc, Richardson, Four Ponds and Bald Mountain as well as Grafton Notch and Rangeley Lakes State Parks and seven smaller public lots each less than about 1,000 acres. The Plan was amended slightly in 2017 to allow development of ATV trails on portions of the Four Ponds and Richardson Units.
Plan Update and Review
The Bureau of Parks and Lands has completed the second Five-Year Review of the 2011 Western Mountains Region Management Plan covering the period from 2016 through 2020. The Integrated Resource Policy (IRP) requires that the Bureau, at five year intervals, report to the Advisory Committee (AC) on accomplishments and new issues or changing conditions that may warrant amendments to the plan.
The Five-Year Review is prepared in a table format. It is linked below as a PDF under the Management Plan Review Documents. It:
- Lists plan recommendations (left column), and
- Actions taken to implement each recommendation (right column), and
- Identifies, from the Bureau's perspective, any issues any new issues or circumstances that were not addressed in the plan that may warrant Committee discussion or action (at end of table).
The Five-Year Review table was sent to AC members on January 25, 2021.
The Bureau identified no new issues that were not addressed in the plan or that warranted Committee input. The Bureau asked AC members for comments on the review table and to identify any new issues or circumstances that they believe may require Committee input or action. Written comments were accepted for three weeks following the email distribution of the review materials. Seven AC members and three other members of the public commented on the review table. A Final Report on the Five-Year Review, summarizing the review process and the Bureau’s response to comments was sent to the Advisory Committee on April 23, 2021. The Final Report is also linked below as a PDF under Management Plan Review Documents.
|Date and Time||Headline||Location||Additional Information|
Management Plan Review Documents
Management Plan Documents
- Map of the Western Mountains Region - PDF (2MB)
- Executive Summary of the Plan - PDF (3MB)
- Western Mountains Region Management Plan - PDF (13MB)
- 1st Five-Year Review Final Report with Plan Amendments (PDF 784KB)
Here's the plan divided into sections for easier download:
- Introductory sections - PDF (2MB)
- Grafton and Mahoosuc section - PDF (6MB)
- Rangeley Region sections - PDF (4MB)
- Appendices - PDF (248KB)
For more information:
Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands
22 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333