Logging and Forestry Education Grant Program
The 2022 Request for Proposals was open until July 15, 2022. Recipients are Listed.
The Bureau of Parks and Lands is seeking applications for the second round of the new Logging and Forestry Education Grant Program. Individual grant applications may be up to $50,000 and eligible applicants are limited to Maine public secondary or public postsecondary institutions or career and technical education centers that are related to logging or forestry. Programs that received funding in 2021 are not eligible to apply for the current cycle. The total funding available for grants this cycle is up to $150,000. Given the importance of a skilled logging workforce to the sustainable harvest of timber from Maine’s Public Reserved Lands, the purpose of this logging and forestry education grant program is to assist in the development of logging professionals.
Criteria for Eligibility
- Any educational program at a Maine public secondary or public postsecondary educational institution or career and technical education center approved by Maine Department of Education that is related to logging or forestry.
- Any grants issued to an eligible educational program must supplement, not supplant, existing school funding.
- Any eligible educational program that receives funding through the grant program must currently include or agree to develop curriculum that covers timber harvesting on Public Reserved Lands according to policies outlined in the Bureau’s Integrated Resource Policy. Public Reserved Lands staff may assist with the development and delivery of this curriculum if requested. All applicants must actively provide instruction that covers:
- Basic understanding of Forestry principles, law and regulations for students.
- Include a clear statement of the additional development of the current curriculum that provides students with a clear understanding of the integrated resource policies and procedures governing timber harvesting and related activities on public reserved lands.
- The proposal must include an itemized budget for the project. The budget must identify sources of current and pending support, including in-kind and matching funds, and must specify which itemized items would be funded using the grant funds sought by the applicant.
- Proposals must include a viable plan for education prior to equipment purchase, rental, or repair.
- All proposals must include measurable outcomes as to how the funds proposed to be used will benefit Public Reserved Lands.
- The Grant Committee will review past performance and compliance with reporting requirements when evaluating future proposals received by eligible educational programs.
- Grants received through the grant program may be used only for educational purposes, including but not limited to upgrading existing logging equipment.
- An eligible educational program may receive grants of up to $50,000, if available, from the grant program.
- Grants will be awarded over a two-year period, with 20% of the total granted in the first year and the remaining 80% granted in the second year.
- The initial 20% disbursement must be used to develop educational materials, purchase classroom materials such as, software, handheld devices, and provide educational field training relating to the understanding of forestry principles, statutes, and regulations. Educational materials must include a statement of the additional development of the current curriculum that provides students with a clear understanding of the integrated resource policy governing timber harvesting and related activities on public reserved lands.
- Distribution of the remaining 80% is contingent on documentation of implemented curriculum that provides students with a understanding of forestry principles, statutes, regulations.
- Grant recipients must submit a final report at the end of the grant period detailing the program outcomes achieved as a result of the grant. Second year funding is contingent upon meeting performance standards.
How are Grants Awarded?
All of the information and application materials are posted on this website in the column to the right. Applications must be received by the announced deadline and must contain all required material to be eligible for possible funding. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Applications will be evaluated according to criteria established in the application and scored by a grant review committee including Bureau staff and two or more representatives from the forest products industry and the Maine Department of Education. All applicants will be notified whether or not they have been selected for funding.