Central Penobscot Region - Management Plan
In May 2014 the Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands adopted a 15-year management plan for approximately 79,000 acres of public lands in the Central Penobscot Region, crafted with the invaluable input from the Advisory Committee as well as the general public. Lands addressed in the plan include Nahmakanta Public Land northeast of Moosehead Lake, Seboeis Public Land surrounding Seboeis Lake between Brownville and Millinocket, and Public Lands in the Wassataquoik valley east of Baxter State Park. The Plan was amended slightly in January 2016.
If you cannot open the PDF files below get the free Adobe Reader software.
Plan Update and Review
The Bureau of Parks and Lands has completed the first Five-Year Review of the 2014 Central Penobscot Region Management Plan covering the period from 2014 through 2019. The Integrated Resource Policy (IRP) requires that the Bureau, at five year intervals, report to the Advisory Committee (AC) on accomplishments and changing conditions that may warrant amendments to the plan.
The Five-Year Review is prepared in a table format. It is linked below as a PDF under Management Plan Review Documents.
- Lists plan recommendations (left column), and
- Actions taken to implement each recommendation (right column), and
- Identifies, from the Bureau's perspective, any issues any new issues or circumstances that were not addressed in the plan that may warrant Committee discussion or action (at end of table).
The Five-Year Review table was sent to Advisory Committee Members on June 24, 2019.
As described below the review table, the Bureau identified one new issue: the development of a management plan for the 1,264-acre West Branch Pleasant River (formerly Gulf Hagas) parcel acquired in December 2016. The Bureau drafted a plan for the parcel, to be appended to the CPR Plan. The Bureau also notified the AC of the Bureau’s decision to designate the remainder of the Wassataquoik Lot (1,387 acres) as Ecological Reserve, added to the existing 740 acres that were designated in 2000.
The Bureau asked AC members for comments on the review table and, in a follow-up message, on the draft West Branch Pleasant River Unit Management Plan, and to identify any new issues or circumstances that may warrant Committee input or action. Written comments were accepted for three weeks following the email distribution of the review materials. One AC member commented on the review table and three commented on the draft Plan. A Final Draft of the Plan was sent to the committee June 1, 2020 and two members submitted additional comments.
On August 20, 2020, the Bureau held a public meeting to present the Final Draft West Branch Pleasant River (formerly Gulf Hagas) Unit Management Plan and to listen to questions and take comments. Due to restrictions on public gatherings in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the public meeting was conducted using TEAMS videoconferencing services. The meeting minutes and presentation are linked below under Management Plan Documents, as is the final Plan.
A Final Report on the Five-Year Review, summarizing the review process and the Bureau’s responses to comments, was sent to the Advisory Committee on June 1, 2020 and is linked below under Management Plan Review Documents.
|Date and Time||Headline||Location||Additional Information|
Management Plan Review Documents
Management Plan Documents
The Plan is available for download below, by individual sections. Please note file sizes. To read these files you will need a copy of the free Adobe Reader software. Download a free copy.
- I Introduction (PDF 914KB)
- II Planning Process (PDF 142KB)
- III Planning Context (PDF 509KB)
- IV Resource Issues, Opportunities, Recommendations (PDF 1.84MB)
- V Monitoring and Evaluation (PDF 113KB)
- Appendices (PDF 1.61MB)
- Central Penobscot Region Plan Amendment Package - January 2016 (PDF 2MB)
- Public Meeting Minutes and Presentation 8/20/2020 West Branch Pleasant River Plan (PDF 883KB)
- Final Management Plan West Branch Pleasant River Unit (formerly Gulf Hagas Unit) – September 2020 (PDF 4MB)
- Bradford LaGrange - Infrastructure (PDF 533KB)
- Bradford-LaGrange - Dominant Use Allocations (PDF 101KB)
- East Turner Mountain, Wassataquoik & Millinocket Forest - Dominant Use Allocations (PDF 609KB)
- East Turner Mountain, Wassataquoik & Millinocket Forest - Infrastructure (PDF 618KB)
- Grey Ledge Deadwater & Seboeis Plantation - Dominant Use Allocations (PDF 142KB)
- Grey Ledge Deadwater & Seboeis Plantation - Infrastructure (PDF 189KB)
- Nahmakanta - Dominant Use Allocations (PDF 8MB)
- Nahmakanta - Infrastructure (PDF 1.5MB)
- Seboeis - Dominant Use Allocations (PDF 460KB)
- Seboeis - Infrastructure (PDF 465KB)
Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands
18 Elkins Lane, Harlow Building
22 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04333