Professional learning is essential in making sure that our educators continue to provide high quality education to students in Maine. The Maine DOE aims to offer ongoing professional development that meets the needs of teachers and positively impacts student mastery.
Maine DOE Initiatives
International Initiatives: The Commissioner of Education and officials from government agencies in other countries have entered into four educational Memoranda of Understandings (MOU). Through these agreements, districts can hire language educators for a minimum of one year and connect via technology with classrooms across the globe. In addition, teachers in any content area can participate in international professional development opportunities.
- Book Study: Read a book in the comfort of your own home and then connect virtually with colleagues across the state to discuss the implications for our work. For March 2019 - May 2019, we will be reading "Reading Reconsidered" by Doug Lemov, Colleen Driggs, and Erica Woolway. Deadline to enroll is February 8, 2019. 20 Spaces available. Click here to find out more and to enroll.
- Virtual Professional Learning Community: Ever asked yourself "Am I doing this right?" Virtual PLC is an opportunity for teachers to connect with other teachers across the state to discuss student work, conduct lesson studies, and engage in your target language. World Language teachers who teach in isolation and those who are the only teachers of their language are welcome to join us. Click here for more information or here to enroll. Deadline to enroll is November 16.
- Virtual Content Coaching: Receive experienced coaching personalized to your development. Through video observations of your classroom and biweekly conversations, you and your coach will deeply explore and refine your practice to achieve greater alignment with your vision of success. Coaches support teachers in their development and do not evaluate teaching. World Language teachers with 0-5 years of teaching experience are welcome to apply for content coaching. Click here for details and to apply. Space is limited. Deadline to enroll is November 16.
- FLAME conference March 7 & 8
- WMEC March 22
- World Language Newsletter: You can subscribe to the World Language Newsletter here. Past issues of the World Language Newsletter are also available.