Professional learning is essential in making sure that our educators continue to provide high quality education to students in Maine. The Maine DOE aims to offer ongoing professional development that meets the needs of teachers and positively impacts student mastery.
Maine DOE Initiatives
International Initiatives: The Commissioner of Education and officials from government agencies in other countries have entered into four educational Memoranda of Understandings (MOU). Through these agreements, districts can hire language educators for a minimum of one year and connect via technology with classrooms across the globe. In addition, teachers in any content area can participate in international professional development opportunities.
- Book Study: Read a book in the comfort of your own home and then connect virtually with colleagues across the state to discuss the implications for our work. From February 2020 - May 2020, we will be reading "Enacting the Work of Language Instruction" by Eileen Gilsan and Richard Donato and listening to a related podcast. Deadline to enroll is January 27. 20 Spaces available. Click here to find out more about the book study. Click here to register.
- Virtual Professional Learning Community: Ever asked yourself "Am I doing this right?" Virtual PLC is an opportunity for teachers to connect with other teachers across the state to discuss student work and conduct lesson studies. World Language teachers who teach in isolation and those who are the only teachers of their language are welcome to join us. Click here for more information or here to enroll. Deadline to enroll is November 8.
- Language Circles: Face to face discussions around the state with the World Language Specialist. Bring your questions, concerns, and topics for discussion. March 30 - April 3.
- Roundtable discussions: virtual gatherings to discuss topics of interest
- Maine Seal of Biliteracy: This is an opportunity to learn more about the Maine Seal of Biliteracy and have your questions answered. January 14 at 5 pm. Click here to register.
- Novice Proficiency Band (grade: PK - 5): An opportunity to connect with other teachers to discuss topics associated related to this proficiency band. Date TBD.
- Novice Proficiency Band (grade: 6 - 8): An opportunity to connect with other teachers to discuss topics associated related to this proficiency band. Date TBD.
- Novice Proficiency Band (grade: 9-12): An opportunity to connect with other teachers to discuss topics associated related to this proficiency band. Date TBD.
- International Partnerships for Your Classroom: For teachers interested in developing an international partnership for their classroom. Date TBD.
- Building a Mandarin Program: For school districts interested in providing their students an opportunity to learn Mandarin. Date TBD.
- Professional Development:
- ACTFL Virtual Learning Module PD opportunities December 2019 - April 2020
- The Maine DOE and Colby College, in collaboration with Bates, Bowdoin and UMaine, are organizing three ACTFL Modified Oral Proficiency Interview Workshops (MOPI) to be hosted in Houlton (Feb. 29-Mar 1), Waterville (Feb. 8-9), and Portland (Feb. 26-27). These workshops are free. Register here. Limited space available.
- World Language Newsletter: You can subscribe to the World Language Newsletter here. Past issues of the World Language Newsletter are also available.