Maine EMS is working on behalf of the EMS providers and people of Maine by closely monitoring and working with the best available information about the dynamic evolution of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID19). We are working with partners at the Maine CDC, Federal CDC, Governor's Office, and a variety of healthcare experts.
We urge Maine people to practice good hand hygiene, wear a face covering, cover coughs and sneezes, and stay home if you are sick. If you are concerned that you have been exposed to COVID-19, call your health care provider, who will determine whether you should be tested and, as appropriate, the next steps.
CURRENT COVID-19 EMS CLINICAL GUIDELINES (PDF) (updated 6/16/2020)
CURRENT COVID-19 EMD DISPATCH GUIDELINES (PDF) (updated 6/28/2021)
- Guidance from Maine EMS and US CDC on facemask use regarding those who are fully vaccinated (PDF) (3/11/21)
- Masking During Highly Transmissible Variants (PDF) (2/7/22)
COVID-19 Protocols q
Maine EMS COVID-19 Pandemic Protocol Resources
- Clinical Bulletin Updating All Pandemic Protocols Statewide (PDF) (7/28/2020)
- The bulletin above outlines the current pandemic guidelines and includes the updated protocols. Below are the 3 pandemic protocols (Pandemic response, low risk patients during surge, and cardiac arrest during pandemic) and any supporting resources. The following three protocols are the same as in the overall bulletin listed above.
- Pandemic Response Protocol (PDF) (7/28/2020)
- On Line Medical Control during COVID (for Physicians, PAs, and NPs) (YouTube video) (4/2/2020)
- Cardiac Arrest Response Protocol During Pandemic (PDF) (7/28/2020)
- - Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrest During Pandemic White Paper (PDF) (4/30/2020)
- - Notification of Medical Examiner for Out of Hospital Deaths During COVID (PDF) (4/7/2020)
- Pandemic Protocol FAQ (PDF) (4/10/2020)
- Note: Phase 1 of the Pandemic Protocol went into effect March 26,2020 and Phase 2 went into effect at 0800 on April 10,2020. Both "Phases" were replaced by the July 28,2020 protocol update.
- Clinical Bulletin - Aerosol Generating Procedures in EMS (PDF) (11/25/2020)
- Visit MEMSEd for the Pandemic training program (found under Specialty > Protocols) (3/26/2020)
Operational Resources q
Guidance for EMS Services on Continuity of Operations (3/27/2020) (PDF)
- Waiver of Level of Response for AEMT and Paramedic Licensed Services (PDF) (12/11/20)
- Maine EMS Medical Direction & Practices Board white paper on "Standards of Care Continuum during the COVID-19 Pandemic" (PDF) (5/8/2020)
- Response Plan Guidance During COVID-19 Document (PDF) (4/2/2020)
- Notification of Medical Examiner (OCME) for Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrests During COVID-19 Pandemic (PDF) (4/7/2020)
EMS Services Contracted with Long Term Care Facility COVID-19 Testing (PDF) (9/16/2020)
- Maine Hospital websites and COVID-19 web links (XLS) (5/11/2020)
Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children during COVID (MIS-C)
- Youtube video of May 29, 2020 presentation from Massachusetts General Hospital for Children
- Maine Medical Center/Barbara Bush MIS-C Clinical Guidelines (PDF)
COVID Testing and Vaccine Resources q
- Where can I get a COVID test in Maine?
Swabbing / Screening
- Response to COVID Outbreaks within Fire and EMS Agencies Playbook Version 4.0 (PDF) (2/8/21)
Operational Bulletin Regarding the Use of Access Bio, Inc.CareStart COVID-19 Antigen Tests (PDF) (10/20/21)
- Guidance for Maine EMS Services applying to perform COVID-19 Swabbing (PDF) (8/26/2020)
- EMS Service Spreadsheet for Documenting EMS Employee Screening (XLS) (updated 3/15/2020)
- Model EMS Employee Screening Guidelines (PDF) (updated 3/15/2020)
- Emergency Rule Notification (PDF) (8/26/2021)
- Vaccination Rule Compliance Clarification (PDF) (10/8/21)
- Q&A from public comment on COVID vaccination from emergency Board of EMS meeting on August 23, 2021 (PDF)
- Chapter 20 COVID-19 Immunization Requirements (PDF) (8/27/2021) Note: This file was updated on 8/27/21 to include the effective date.
- Maine EMS Public Safety Vaccination Plan (PDF) (12/16/2020)
- The Maine EMS Medical Direction & Practices Board held a series of statewide Town Hall virtual meetings to discuss the COVID vaccine for EMS clinicians. A virtual meeting was held in every region and hosted by the regional medical director, with other regional and state medical directors assisting. The goal was to provide a better understanding of the medication, to use to help guide you in your decision to receive this vaccine administration. These meetings were recorded and are available on the Maine EMS YouTube channel.
- The Maine EMS "Ready, Check and Vaccinate!" and "Maine EMS COVID-19 Vaccine Training" courses can be found by logging into licensed clinicians MEMSEd account.
- Maine EMS Vaccine Declination Form (DOC) (12/23/2020)
- MDPB COVID vaccine talking points (PDF) (updated 12/18/2020)
- Moderna COVID vaccine fact sheet for recipients (PDF) (12/21/2020)
- Moderna COVID vaccine fact sheet for vaccinators (PDF) (12/21/2020)
- Triage of contraindications for mRNA vaccinations (PDF) (12/21/2020)
- Moderna FDA COVID vaccine EUA fact sheet (link) (12/2020)
- Pfizer FDA COVID vaccine EUA fact sheet (link) (12/2020)
- Janssen Vaccine EMS Administration Standing Order (3/9/2021)
- ACOG statement on pregnancy and lactation in context of COVID vaccines (link) (12/2020)
- American College of Medical Toxicology - COVID-19 and pregnancy webinar (link) (12/16/2020)
- Society of Maternal and Fetal Medicine statement on COVID and pregnancy (link) (12/15/2020)
- What is mRNA? (PDF) (Nature Magazine, Jan, 2018)
- New England Journal of Medicine - Coronavirus Article & Resource Collection
- CDC Facts about Coronavirus
- Introduction to Coronavirus Vaccines (YouTube video) (12/4/2020)
- From JAMA - The Journal of the American Medical Association The JAMA Network is a collection of 12 international peer-reviewed medical journals that features research, reviews, and commentary across the spectrum of medical and surgical practice. Led by the flagship journal JAMA®, the JAMA Network's mission is to improve the public health by providing the information that matters most to practitioners and researchers.
- COVID Presentation (YouTube video) (12/7/2020)
Atlantic Partners EMS has shared a video from a presentation on Saturday, December 5, 2020. This video is approximately 2 hours long and discusses COVID, COVID vaccines and current Maine EMS protocols surrounding COVID. This presentation is from Dr. Dora Anne Mills, the Chief Health Improvement Officer for MaineHealth and served as the Director of Public Health for the State of Maine and Director of the Maine CDC for 15 years. She is joined by Dr. Michael Bohanske, an ED physician at Maine Medical Center and Region 1 EMS Medical Director.
Maine EMS, MDPB, and EMD COVID Update Meetings q
EMS & EMD Services/Personnel
Effective 3/3/22, this meeting is no longer being conducted.
EMD Centers & Personnel
Effective 12/6/21, this meeting has been combined with the EMS monthly update (above)
Medical Direction & Practices Board
1st Monday of each month at 0800
Maine EMS Calendar
Zoom Web Link: https://mainestate.zoom.us/j/81559853848
Zoom Call In Number: 1-646-876-9923
Zoom Meeting ID: 815 5985 3848
Personnel Quarantine, Return to Work and Other Healthy Resource Documents q
Visit the Maine EMS "Stay Healthy in EMS" Resources Page
Reporting Exposed EMS Clinician and Dispatcher Information to Maine CDC (PDF) (4/23/2020)
EMS Service Spreadsheet for Documenting EMS Employee Screening (XLS) (updated 3/15/2020)
Model EMS Employee Screening Guidelines (PDF) (updated 3/15/2020)
Maine EMS COVID Clinician Update (PDF) (updated 3/15/2020)
Understanding COVID-19 Cases, Contacts, and Contacts of Contacts (PDF) (6/29/2020)
Maine EMS Clinician Quarantine Guide (PDF) (updated 2/4/2022)
Return to Work Guidance (PDF) (updated 2/4/2022)
Equipment Resources During COVID Pandemic q
PPE supply requests should be routed through local County Emergency Management Agencies (EMAs). You can find your local EMA contact information by visiting the website here.
Universal Masking Operational Bulletin (PDF) (updated 6/29/2020)
Letter from Maine CDC to All EMS Agencies and Fire Services (PDF) (8/23/2020)
Joint Position Statement on PPE Usage (PDF) (7/1/2020)
Memo regarding PPE Inventory Surveys (PDF) (6/16/2020)
Understanding the PPE Request Process (PDF) (4/9/2020)
Which Mask to Use? (PDF)
Donning and Doffing PPE video from NETC (Youtube Video)
Counterfeit KN95 Mask Warning (PDF) (4/19/2020)
Operational Bulletin Regarding Masks with Exhalation Valves (PDF) (8/21/2020)
Two-Way Radio decontamination guidelines (Contact radio manufacturer if questions or not listed)
Funding & Reimbursement Resources q
Licensing & Training Resources Related to COVID Pandemic q
By authority approved and delegated by the Maine Board of EMS, in accordance with emergency legislation passed by Governor Janet Mills, Maine EMS is waiving certain rules pertaining to re-licensure for both Maine licensed EMS and EMD personnel. This waiver is approved in support of maintaining an effective EMS system response capability. Waivers have been enacted that apply to EMS personnel, as well as EMS services in Maine.
Maine EMS has added an 18-month extension to all current EMS provider licenses, effective May 20, 2022.
EMS Week and EMS license extension letter (PDF) (5/20/22)
Expired EMS License Waiver Process
On May 4, 2022, the Maine EMS Board approved a waiver request from the Maine EMS Labor Committee to allow EMS clinicians whose license has expired, or will expire, within the last two years to be able to relicense at the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) levels for a period of two-years without demonstrating the required continuing education hours needed for traditional reinstatement. The individual must have all protocol update activities completed before delivering any patient care. This provisional license will be active for two years. The individual must meet all other requirements for license renewal at expiration to renew the license, which will then become a regular, versus “provisional” license.
Using this method, individuals licensed at the Paramedic or Advanced EMT level may relicense at the EMR or EMT level. It is important to note that Maine EMS feels strongly that continuing education is a critical underpinning of the quality of the Maine EMS system.
The criteria to take advantage of this reinstatement opportunity to obtain a two-year, provisional EMR or EMT license:
• The license expired or will expire between May 4, 2020, and May 4, 2023, and
• The individual meets all other requirements for license renewal, including, but not limited to, a Maine background check.
This waiver will expire on June 1, 2023.
Maine EMS Waiver For Expired Clinician Licenses (PDF) (5/25/22)
- Waiver of Skills Hour Requirement for Clinician Licensing (PDF) (12/1/21)
- Waiver of Level of Response for AEMT and Paramedic Licensed Services (PDF) (12/11/20)
EMS PSE and Clinical checklist during COVID (PDF) (7/1/2020)
EMS Psychomotor Testing for EMR & EMT Information is found on the EMS Exam Resources Page
Certification Policies and Guidelines from other organizations
State/Federal COVID-19 Resource Links q