To view the Maine EMS Exam Advisory Committee Information, Minutes & Resources, click here.
A person seeking to license as an emergency medical services provider in Maine must successfully complete a Maine EMS-approved psychomotor and cognitive exam. Maine EMS uses state defined pyschomotor skills exams (PSEs) along with the National Registry of EMT (NREMT) cognitive exams to fulfill State licensure testing requirements at the Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) and the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) level. National Registry of EMTs conducts Advanced EMT (AEMT) and Paramedic level PSE, portfolio and cognitive exams.
All cognitive exams are conducted as adaptive computer based exams, and are administered through Pearson Vue Testing Centers throughout Maine. Information about testing rules, accommodations and sites can be reviewed at the Pearson Vue website for NREMT.
Important Notice to Exam Candidates: In order to participate in any of the listed PSEs, practical exams or written exams, you must:
- have completed training that makes you eligible to participate in the PSE/practical exam/written exam
- be pre-registered with the agency conducting the exam; walk-ins are not allowed
- understand that the opportunity to test at one of the exam sites listed below is at the discretion of the agency conducting the PSE/practical exam/written exam
Maine EMS oversees testing at the EMR and EMT levels, and the NREMT oversees testing at the AEMT and Paramedic levels. Maine EMS does not directly conduct testing - training centers are responsible for the testing of students.
Maine EMS uses the National Registry of EMTs (NREMT) computer based test (CBT) to fulfill State of Maine cognitive testing requirements for persons seeking a Maine EMS license as an Emergency Medical Responder (EMR), Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Advanced EMT (AEMT) or Paramedic.
Click here to view the NREMT step-by-step guide for registering to take the NREMT CBT.
- Exam Administration Manual (PDF)
- Maine Revised EMT Psychomotor Exam Users Guide May 12, 2016 (PDF)
- Revision Information for EMT Psychomotor Exam Users Guide - May 12, 2016 (PDF)