The following is a partial list of nationally-developed standards and guidelines focusing on social studies disciplines. The Maine Department of Education does not endorse these standards and frameworks, however, this compiled list of resources is provided for educators' consideration.
- Geography for Life. From the National Geographic.
- History Standards. From the National Center for History in the Schools.
- National Curriculum Standards for Social Studies: A Framework for Teaching, Learning and Assessment. From the National Council for the Social Studies.
- National Standards for Civics & Government. From the Center for Civic Education.
- National Standards for Financial Literacy. From the Council for Economic Education.
- National Standards in K-12 Personal Finance Education. From the Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy.
- Voluntary National Content Standards in Economics. From the Council for Economic Education.