What is the McKinney-Vento Act?
The Maine Department of Education and Maine schools follow the provisions of the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, which aims to minimize the educational disruptions experienced by students experiencing housing instability. Students in temporary housing situations are guaranteed the right to a free, appropriate, public education. They can remain enrolled in the schools they have been attending even if they are temporarily staying out of the district but also have the right to enroll in their new school of residence. To minimize the risk of students missing school during periods of housing instability, enrollment should be immediate, even if families cannot provide typically required documents and immunization records right away. Schools must provide transportation for students who need it to attend school. McKinney-Vento protections apply to all public school students, pre-K through grade 12 who “lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence”, including children and youth:
- Sharing housing due to loss of housing or economic hardship
- Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks or camping grounds due to lack of alternative adequate housing
- Living in emergency or transitional housing
- Abandoned in hospitals
- Having a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for, or ordinarily used as, regular sleeping accommodations
- Living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations
- Migratory students meeting the descriptions above
Resources for Families
How to find my liaison? - The NEO Contact Search can be used to locate the McKinney-Vento Liaison in any Maine school district.
Resources for families and youth experiencing housing instability
What is McKinney-Vento? (5 mins)
*Sign up for the Maine McKinney-Vento listserv here!
Find current Maine DOE PD opportunities here
MV Orientation/Refresher Video (90 mins)
McKinney-Vento Data Video (30 mins)
What is McKinney-Vento Video (5 mins)
For school staff: McKinney 101 (PowerPoint)
McKinney & PK (PowerPoint)
McKinney & COVID (PowerPoint)
Migrant Education & Homeless Education
Office of School and Student Supports