Two week old baby unharmed during standoff in Waldo 

On Sunday, January 9, 2022, at approximately 5:00 pm., Maine State Police responded to a report of a domestic violence incident at a residence on East Waldo Road in Waldo.  A victim and her three-year-old child fled the residence to a neighbor’s home.  As Troopers were investigating , the suspect, 30-year-old Kote Aldus, allegedly started firing shots in their direction from inside his residence, which was also reportedly occupied by the victim’s two-week-old baby.  While other members of the State Police Tactical Team were responding, Trooper Tyler Harrington, a Tactical Team member, returned fire.  About three hours later, Mr. Aldus was arrested for domestic violence assault.  He was taken to a Belfast hospital for treatment of  non-life threatening injuries.  The baby was unharmed.  Other charges may be forthcoming after consultation with the District Attorney’s Office.

Detectives from the Attorney General’s Office are on scene investigating the incident, as is standard in any officer-involved shooting. 

Oxford Stand-off Ends Peacefully

A Norway man is in custody after peacefully surrendering to Troopers after a stand-off that lasted several hours. 

Brian Cabral, 42, of Norway, had been the subject of an ongoing drug investigation in the Oxford Hills Area. Recently a Class A warrant for Aggravated Trafficking in Schedule W drugs ( fentanyl ) was obtained by State Police Investigators. Cabral is on Probation for Drug Trafficking. Cabral also has bail conditions. Cabral has been well aware Troopers have been looking for him.

On Feb. 3, at about 10 a.m., Cabral went to a business in Lewiston and had contacted a protected party in the above-mentioned bail conditions. Cabral fled the area before Police arrived. A vehicle description was provided. Troopers began to check known locations frequented by Cabral. At about 2 p.m., the suspect’s vehicle was located at a residence on French Road in Oxford. Oxford Police and Norway Police assisted State Police Units with surveillance on the residence. Because of Cabral’s criminal history, the seriousness of the new charges, and the presence of firearms inside the residence, the Assistance of the Maine State Police Tactical Team and the Maine State Police Crisis Negotiator Team were requested to respond.

The homeowner came out of the house without incident. The homeowner confirmed Cabral was inside the residence. After several hours of communicating with Cabral, he came out of the residence peacefully and surrendered to Troopers.

Cabral was transported to the Oxford County Jail; Charges of Class A Aggravated Trafficking in Schedule W Drugs, Domestic Violence Terrorizing Class D, and Violation of Conditions of release Class C.

Subscribe to Stand-Off