TROOPER APPLICATIONS ARE STILL BEING ACCEPTED
Yes!! We are still accepting applications for the Trooper position!!
We are always looking for men and women who are up to the task of being a Maine State Trooper.
If you think you are interested in pursuing a career as a Maine State Trooper, look at the links below. They will describe what is involved in being and becoming a State Trooper in Maine. You will also find information on pay and benefits.
Join the Tradition
A Career with a future, job satisfaction, and pride.
We are currently accepting new applicants from The Department of Public Safety, Bureau of Maine State Police, is looking for applicants to fill multiple Maine State Trooper vacancies statewide.
Being a Maine State Trooper is a demanding, challenging and rewarding way of life. From the day you apply to become a trooper you will have embarked on a great personal challenge. Our exhaustive selection process and rigorous training academy has set national standards for excellence. The reason is clear . . . only the finest men and women are good enough to wear the uniform and badge of the Maine State Trooper.
Troopers begin their career with a salary based on an annual rate of $47,257.60 which progresses through seniority steps to $63,508. Overtime is paid at one and half times the basic hourly rate for time worked beyond an assigned shift. The value of State paid Health insurance is $392.49 – $461.75 biweekly and Dental is $14.60 bi-weekly. The value of the State's share of employee's retirement is 19.13% of salary.
If you've been considering a law enforcement career and are self-reliant and highly motivated with the self-discipline and desire to give us your level best, then you may be just who we're looking for. Look to your future; apply to become one of Maine's finest law enforcement officers today.
Benefits if a Maine State Trooper
- A 25-year retirement system with an employee contribution of only 8.65% (remainder is paid by the State). Troopers retire at 50% of their maximum salary while employees working over 25 years receive an additional 2% of retirement pay for each additional year worked beyond 25 years;
- clothing or uniform cleaning allowance of $65 per month;
- cell phone allowance of $60.00 per month, paid semi-annually;
- night shift differential of either $.45 or $.55 per hour;
- weekend differential of $.60 per hour;
- college degree incentive that includes an hourly stipend of $0.19 for an Associates degree, $0.31 for a Bachelor degree and $0.43 for a Masters or higher degree;
- State paid health and dental benefits;
- paid sick leave earned at one day per month;
- paid vacation leave starting at one day per month to a maximum of 2 days per month based on seniority;
- assigned vehicle with a yearly allowance of $260.00 for cleaning;
- promotional opportunities based on ability, education and seniority;
- each trooper has an opportunity for a wide array of specialized career paths with lateral mobility.
- Accident Reconstructionist
- Basic Cadet School Cadre Member
- Canine Handler
- Commercial Vehicle Enforcement
- Community Policing Officer
- Computer Crimes Task Force
- Criminal Intelligence
- Criminal Investigation
- Underwater Recovery Team
- Drug Enforcement
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Evidence Response Team
- EVOC Instructor
- Firearms Instructor
- Fitness Instructor
- Forensic Specialist
- Gaming/Weapons Unit
- Crisis Negotiator
- Pilot (Air Wing)
- Pipe & Drum Unit
- Recruit School Instructor
- Tactical Team
- Traffic Division
- Troop Investigator
- Truck Weights
- Violent Crimes Task Force
Any question regarding salary and benefits may be directed to Melissa Weiner at the Security and Employment Service Center at 207-623-6739.Find out about becoming a Maine State Trooper