Apply Online Today!
Updated January 2013
You should be aware before starting the application process that you will automatically be eliminated for any of the following:
- Have been convicted of murder or any crime classified in Maine law as a Class A, Class B, or Class C crime (i.e., any crime with a maximum term of imprisonment of one year or more) or of any substantially similar crime in another jurisdiction outside the State of Maine;
- Have been convicted of any crime classified in Maine law as a Class D crime (i.e., any crime with a maximum possible term of imprisonment of less than one year) or of any substantially similar crime in another jurisdiction outside the State of Maine;
- Have been convicted of any of the following provisions of the Maine Criminal Code (Title 17-A of the Maine Revised Statutes Annotated) or of any substantially similar crime in another jurisdiction outside the State of Maine:
- Chapter 15, Theft (including but not limited to: theft by deception; insurance deception; theft by extortion; theft of lost, mislaid or mistakenly delivered property; theft of services; theft by misapplication of property; unauthorized use of property);
- Chapter 19, Falsification in Official Matters (including, but not limited to: perjury; false swearing; unsworn falsification; tampering with a witness, informant, juror, or victim; falsifying physical evidence; tampering with public records or information; impersonating a public servant);
- Chapter 25, Bribery and Corrupt Practices (including, but not limited to: bribery in official and political matters; improper influence; improper compensation for past action; improper gifts to public servants; improper compensation for services; purchase of public office; official oppression; misuse of information); or
- Chapter 45 Drugs (including but not limited to: unlawful or aggravated trafficking in scheduled drugs; unlawfully furnishing scheduled drugs; unlawful possession of scheduled drugs; acquiring drugs by deception; stealing drugs; cultivating marijuana; illegal importation of scheduled drugs; unlawful possession; unlawful trafficking, possession or furnishing of synthetic hallucinogenic drugs);
- Have been convicted of any crime that is a violation of any domestic abuse law of any State or Federal jurisdiction;
- Have been convicted of operating under the influence (O.U.I.) of intoxicating liquor and/or drugs within the ten (10) years preceding the date of your application;
- Have been adjudicated to have committed a zero tolerance (.00) violation within the four (4) years prior to application;
- Are currently abusing drugs or alcohol; or
- Falsify or misrepresent a material fact when interviewed during the background investigation, or the polygraph examination, or on the pre-polygraph questionnaire.