Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of educational background is needed to become employed at the Crime Laboratory?

The education of the staff ranges from Bachelor’s degrees in Biology, Chemistry, Forensic Science, and Clinical Laboratory Science to Master’s degrees in various disciplines. Please check the Forensic Links portion of our web page for further information on undergraduate and graduate programs in forensic science and its related disciplines.

Do you have to be a State Trooper to work at the State Police Crime Laboratory?

No. Civilians hold many positions in the Crime Laboratory.

Do crime lab personnel process crime scenes?

On occasion it is necessary for specialized crime lab personnel to attend and process crime scenes.
What type of DNA testing do you do at the lab?

We perform Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) DNA typing at the Laboratory. This method is accepted widely in the scientific field and it has been used for identifying individuals in the Waco disaster and the World Trade Center Bombing, as well as many other applications.

How do law enforcement personnel properly send fingerprint evidence through the mail?

Please superglue fume non-porous evidence such as cans, bottles, and credit cards before you mail it to the lab. Prints will not survive the trip to the lab unless they are packaged in such a way that nothing touches or rubs against the smooth surfaces you want processed for latent prints. If DNA testing is important on the bottle opening, wedge the bottle corner to corner in a sturdy cardboard box. Next, seal the box AND PLACE IT INSIDE ANOTHER BOX with ample shock absorbing packing material to prevent breakage during shipment.