Stand Off

Van Buren man creates police standoff after assaulting local man

From the desk of Shannon Moss, DPS PIO.

On Tuesday, October 25, 2022, at 9:17 am, the Maine State Police received a report of a man identified as 35-year-old Corey Vick, who was outside of a residence at 154 Castonguay Rd. in Van Buren, acting erratically.  At 9:25 am, the State Police received a call from a woman reporting that her husband had been assaulted by Vick outside the residence in an unprovoked attack.  The woman and her husband were able to flee the area to safety.  Troopers, Aroostook County Sheriff’s Deputies, and Border Patrol Agents responded to Castonguay Rd. to locate Vick.  When they arrived on scene, they determined that Vick was inside the residence and was verbally aggressive towards law enforcement and attempting to entice them to enter the residence. Vick reported that he had a firearm and would kill officers if they entered his home.  Law Enforcement set up a perimeter and began to contact him by cell phone.  The man continued to taunt and threaten to kill law enforcement if they came into the residence.  The State Police Tactical Team was consulted and responded to the scene along with the Crisis Intervention Team.  The Castonguay road was shut down. A search warrant was issued for the residence at 154 Castonguay Rd. and an arrest warrant was issued for Vick's arrest. The Tactical Team and Crisis Negotiation Team attempted to deescalate Vick throughout the night without success.  At approximately 6:30 am on Wednesday, October 26, 2022, the Tactical Team made entry into Vick's residence and took him into custody.  Vick was transported to Cary Medical Center for treatment of minor injuries and then transported to the Aroostook County Jail.  Vick has been charged with two counts of Assault, Criminal        Threatening, Reckless Conduct with a Dangerous Weapon, two counts of Aggravated Criminal Mischief, and creating a police standoff.

Gunman Killed at Hiram Standoff

State Police shot and killed a man Saturday following an 12 hour armed standoff at the man's home on the Tripptown Road in Hiram where the gunman fired multiple shots at police.  The man killed is 59 year old Reed Rickabaugh.  No police officers were injured.    The police involvement with Rickabaugh began Thursday (April 23, 2020) when an Oxford County deputy sheriff started investigating a report of gunshots from Rickabaugh's home and a bullet striking a neighbor's house. Rickabaugh would only speak to the deputy through a closed door.
On Friday night (April 24, 2020), two deputy sheriffs returned to the home to continue the investigation and  Rickabaugh answered the door armed with a handgun. The deputies moved to a position of cover while ordering Rickabaugh to drop the gun.  Rickabaugh shot at the deputies, striking their vehicle, and went back inside his home. 
The State Police Crisis Negotiation and Tactical Teams were requested by the sheriff's office and  they attempted throughout the night to contact  Rickabaugh, who shot at officers on multiple occasions from inside his residence, twice striking an occupied police vehicle. 
Multiple attempts to persuade Rickabaugh to leave his residence were unsuccessful. On Saturday at 10:45 A.M., Rickabaugh came out of his home and an armed confrontation occurred that resulted in two members of the State Police Tactical Team, Corporals G.J. Neagle and Paul Casey, shooting and killing Rickabaugh. 
As in all cases of the use of deadly force by law enforcement, the Maine Attorney General's Office is the lead investigating agency . As is also normal protocol, the two officers involved were placed on paid administrative leave. 

Subscribe to Stand Off