Crisis Negotiation Team

Oxford Stand-off Ends Peacefully

A Norway man is in custody after peacefully surrendering to Troopers after a stand-off that lasted several hours. 

Brian Cabral, 42, of Norway, had been the subject of an ongoing drug investigation in the Oxford Hills Area. Recently a Class A warrant for Aggravated Trafficking in Schedule W drugs ( fentanyl ) was obtained by State Police Investigators. Cabral is on Probation for Drug Trafficking. Cabral also has bail conditions. Cabral has been well aware Troopers have been looking for him.

On Feb. 3, at about 10 a.m., Cabral went to a business in Lewiston and had contacted a protected party in the above-mentioned bail conditions. Cabral fled the area before Police arrived. A vehicle description was provided. Troopers began to check known locations frequented by Cabral. At about 2 p.m., the suspect’s vehicle was located at a residence on French Road in Oxford. Oxford Police and Norway Police assisted State Police Units with surveillance on the residence. Because of Cabral’s criminal history, the seriousness of the new charges, and the presence of firearms inside the residence, the Assistance of the Maine State Police Tactical Team and the Maine State Police Crisis Negotiator Team were requested to respond.

The homeowner came out of the house without incident. The homeowner confirmed Cabral was inside the residence. After several hours of communicating with Cabral, he came out of the residence peacefully and surrendered to Troopers.

Cabral was transported to the Oxford County Jail; Charges of Class A Aggravated Trafficking in Schedule W Drugs, Domestic Violence Terrorizing Class D, and Violation of Conditions of release Class C.

Arrest in Hanover Standoff

State Police say a man who held police at bay for several hours in Hanover this morning surrendered just before noon time after talking with State Police negotiators.  40 year old Paul Legasse of Camden is charged with domestic violence assault and criminal threatening.  Oxford Sheriff's deputies and troopers were called to the Route 2 house around 2:30 AM when Legasse's girlfriend , who was beaten and threatened with a knife, was able to escape her home to call police.  Traffic on Route 2 was detoured around the scene for hours as the State Police tactical team and negotiators worked to resolve the standoff with Legasse, who spoke with negotiators for over 90 minutes.  Several of the area fire departments assisted police with traffic control.  Legasse was taken to the Oxford County Jail. The victim suffered facial injuries but did not require immediate medical attention. 

Subscribe to Crisis Negotiation Team