When funds are available payments will be made as first received, first paid. There is often very little money, but we hope to receive more money in the future.
This guidance contains three parts of importance:
- The Law
- DOE Guidelines
- Claim form for the Local Produce Fund (rtf)
20-A �6602. SCHOOL FOOD SERVICE PROGRAMS
12. Local Produce Fund:
Established within the Department of Education the local product fund is authorized to receive revenue from public and private sources. The fund must be held separate and apart from all other money, funds and accounts. Any balance remaining in the fund at the end of the fiscal year must be carried forward to the next fiscal year.
The fund must be used to match $1 for every $3 that a school administrative unit pays for local product or minimally processed foods purchased directly from a Maine producer or producers cooperative within the State, to a maximum state contribution of $1,000. At the end of the fiscal year, the school administrative unit may provide the department with receipts documenting purchases pursuant to this subsection during that year.
For purposes of this subsection, "minimally processed" means only the washing, cleaning, trimming, drying, sorting and packaging of food items or a combination of those activities. Reimbursement or partial reimbursement to school administrative units may only be made up to the amount available in the fund. Failure to reimburse does not constitute an obligation on behalf of the State to a school administrative unit.
Local Produce Fund Simple Guidelines
- Cannot be for produce offered through the FFVP
- Maine product must be maintained from Maine producer or producers cooperative within the State
- Minimally processed as defined in law
- Receipts are paid first in first out, until money is gone
- Requests will be processed on the same time frame as the monthly claim form
- Receipts do not have to be originals
- Receipts can be sent electronically or US mail to ATTN: Nanci Stitt-Kittredge
- Districts have a maximum of $1000 per year
- Cover note must be attached to refund request
- DOE reserves the right to decline or prorate receipts to provide support to as many districts as reasonably possible
- The same time frame and process of the claim forms
- To be reported under “other income” on claim form
- Nanci will notify districts when funds are no longer available