Summer is the perfect time to explore the world through books — learn about topics of interest, escape to real and imaginary places and let your mind explore new worlds. To make summer reading even more fun, take the Read to Ride Summer Reading Challenge. Read at least 500 minutes this summer to qualify for a chance to win one of 48 bikes and helmets generously donated by the Maine Freemasons.
Follow these simple steps to complete the challenge:
- Read (or for young learners, be read to) at least 500 minutes this summer — that’s just 20 minutes a day for 25 days.
- Record your reading on the Read to Ride Passport (Docx, 195KB).
- Ask your parent/guardian to document your reading by signing your passport.
- Return your passport to your school principal by Sept. 10, 2021.
All completed passports will be entered into a school-level drawing. Two students from each participating school (one boy and one girl) will have their names entered in the Maine Department of Education’s drawing to be held on October 1, 2021. Winners will be notified on October 15, 2021.
- Read to Ride Information Sheet with a Passport (Docx, 302KB)
- Guidance for School Principals (Docx, 281KB)
- Principals: Register Your School by June 18, 2021
Note: If your school participates in Scholastic’s Summer Reading Program, it is an allowable method for logging and documenting your reading minutes. Follow your school’s instructions for documenting you have completed at least 500 minutes of reading.