Frequently Asked Questions
- Where is my certificate?
- We are no longer mailing fingerprint cards or certificates as proof. For proof of credentials please Check Application Status. You may print the NEO application status screen for proof of credentials as needed.
- When is the new online system going live?
- It is now live for renewal applications. Please see the renewal page for the link and support documents. The certification team is still accepting paper applications in the mail for initial certifications.
- Who needs to be certified?
- Teachers, Educational Specialists, Administrators and Educational Technicians must hold an authorization.
- How long does certification last?
- Conditional is a three-year certificates, we no longer have targeted need or transitional once they expire. Professional is a five-year certificate. We know longer have Provisional certificates once they expire.
- How may I check the status of my application?
- Visit the NEO Portal to check your application's status.
- I have a question about testing requirements for educators in Maine. Where would I find related information?
- Testing information can be found on the Educational Testing Service (ETS) Praxis website.
- What if I have a transcript that's from outside of the United States?
- If you would like to use a transcript that is from another country, we accept any evaluation organization that is certified under the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). For additional information please visit National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES �).
If you have other questions, please read through the Certification website materials first. Contact our office if you have further questions.