Home → Certification
Note: We are no longer mailing fingerprint cards or certificates as proof of credentials. For proof of credentials please Check Application Status. You may print the application status screen for proof of credentials.
The Maine Department of Education is happy to announce the release of the educator portal for the new online credentialing system. While the certification team is still accepting paper for initial applications, all renewal applications must be processed through the online system. Visit the renewal page for additional instruction.
The Maine Department of Education Certification Office administers the rules of the Maine State Board of Education relating to the issuing of credentials to persons employed in or under contract with public and approved private schools. Certification also evaluates the need for and proposes changes to legislation and regulations to serve the State's interest in enhancing teaching.
The rules establish requirements for entry level and renewal preparation and requirements for the certification of administrators, educational specialists, and teachers; the authorization for educational technicians; and the approval of criminal history record checks for all persons. Any person not required to have a certification or an authorization must have an approval.
Certification also implements the rules establishing the grounds to deny, suspend or revoke credentials and the procedures for taking administrative action against credential applicants and holders. Certification investigates allegations of misconduct or incompetence, reports information as necessary to appropriate authorities and allows public access to information and records, unless the specific information and record is confidential by statute.
- Paper applications for Initial Certification can be dropped off during normal business hours.
- Members of the public are welcome to drop off initial application materials to the Maine DOE, rather than mailing. Renewals must be processed through the new online system. Please refer to processing times in the upper right hand corner of this page.
- Questions by phone: Monday through Friday from 9:00AM - 3:30PM
- Please also see our updated FAQ's
- Please be aware that summer months are peak season for the certification office and high call volumes are likely, please plan accordingly.
We are pleased to provide an update on the status of our new online certification system.